Looking For Info From Cape Cod Owners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CT-Mike

Minister of Fire
Mar 22, 2008
New England
So I am thinking about removing my insert and placing a Cape Cod in front of the fireplace. I have another thread going about a mason coming out to give me a quote on raising the lintel height.

My problem is the nearest Lopi dealer is about 60 miles away and they won't give me a price over the phone. Can any of you Cape Cod owners let me know what to expect price wise in black with the optional blower fan?

I would really appreciate the info, and any other tips or tricks I can get.

Thanks,

Mike

It will run in the $3,600 ball-park with the blower, in New Iron. Add about $900 more for enamel brown.

Thanks webby. How has your experience been operating the stove for awhile now? Are you getting the advertised burn times and good heat out of the stove?

I'm not sure how wide your fireplace is, but you will need it to be at the very least 42''s wide to allow the bypass to open.

Whats up with the Freedom? Do you have problems with it?

I couldn't be happier! I'm getting 8-9 hours between re-loads on pine and Tulip. If I load it down with Oak or Locust I get 12-14 hrs. It would be more like 16 hrs from start to the last spark i guess, but I don't ever let it go out.

Thanks for the info. Do you use the auto-ignitor, and if so, how long from a cold stove to blowing heat?

Thanks again,

Mike

What are you hoping to achieve with this?

Both stoves are about the same size. The free standing stove will offer a bit more heat, but I would hardly think it would be a massive difference. The cost doesn't seem to justify the change. I'm not saying you shouldn't try to upgrade. I am only questioning the choice you are making for the upgrade.

I'm not sure how wide your fireplace is, but you will need it to be at the very least 42''s wide to allow the bypass to open.

Whats up with the Freedom? Do you have problems with it?

Not really having any issues with the Freedom, I just like the look of a free-stander better, and feel that it would radiate more heat with no power. I actually plan to build out the hearth and have the stove sit on front of the fireplace., maybe recessed a little to minimize the footprint into the room.

Both stoves are about the same size. The free standing stove will offer a bit more heat, but I would hardly think it would be a massive difference. The cost doesn't seem to justify the change. I'm not saying you shouldn't try to upgrade. I am only questioning the choice you are making for the upgrade.

As I stated above, I am not having any real problems with the Freedom. We are looking to rebuild/remodel the hearth because it currently looks like crap. As part of that re-model we are looking to go to a free-stander.

Keep in mind that the bypass is on the side of the stove, centered in the flue. It would be really hard to recess it unless the fireplace is very wide.

Keep in mind that the bypass is on the side of the stove, centered in the flue. It would be really hard to recess it unless the fireplace is very wide.

Thanks, I will remove the surround from the insert and measure it now.

The differences between the Freedom and the Cod are vast! This Cod will blow away the Freedom. With burn times and heat output.
The firebox is much more usable too, the Freedom tapers at the back and has a low baffle. The Cod will hold a lot more wood.

The differences between the Freedom and the Cod are vast! This Cod will blow away the Freedom. With burn times and heat output.
The firebox is much more usable too, the Freedom tapers at the back and has a low baffle. The Cod will hold a lot more wood.

Agreed. I don't like having to cut splits to two different lengths to be able to fully stuff the firebox.

I have a mason coming out on Thursday to give me a quote on what it would take to raise the lintel height since the Cape Cod doesn't have a rear outlet. If necessary I will have him let me know the feasibility of widening the mouth of the opening if necessary.

I am not looking to completely recess the stove so I s'pose I could have the bypass rod in front of the bricks.

I've had my Cape for 4 days now and really love the look of it. I haven't loaded it all the way up yet, it's my first stove and still trying to gain confidence. Plus, I'm waiting for it to be added to my insurance before I fully load it and can leave so I don't have to watch it for hours on end. I went back and forth on the color and went with the enamel-glad I did. It is a very dark brown, almost black. It looks like a piece of fine furniture. I also highly recommend the blower, it pushes out the heat much more than the natural convection out the top. You can vary the speed and it turns on and off automatically with the rheostat. Don't have the autostart feature.
20130211_194818.jpgView attachment 9340220130211_195018.jpg

Thanks webby,several questions for you. From a cold start, do you just get a good fire going with a few splits then fill it up, or fill it up from the beginning? Also, how do you know when to shut off the bypass and decrease air? The manual gives no info on temps, just says if it starts glowing it is too hot. All I have so far is an infrared gun from work and point it at cast base of flue and up the pipe since the top is separate, only reached 350 so far on a small fire. Would you or have you filled yours up with 100% oak?

I fill mine up nearly everytime. I rake the coals around to remove the ash and then fill it up. Sometimes I use pine and Tulip, if it's cold then I use Oak or Locust. When I start from a cold stove, I do a top down fire. Splits on bottom, kindlin and firestarter on top. This way makes a nearly smoke free start-up.
When the Cod is cruising where I want it, the flue collar base will read 650 with the IR. It's the most controllable stove I have ever used. Now, fill it up!::-)

Well SWMBO has decided that a free-stander in front of the hearth is a non-starter. She is sick of the mess associated with burning wood. So we are going back to plan A to install a Mt Vernon AE pellet insert and new hearth/surround/mantel etc. The plus is that we will be burning the same fuel upstairs and down, the Timberwolf will be for sale shortly, and there will be less mess in the house. The minus is that we will be burning the same fuel upstairs and down (I don't like putting all my eggs in one basket).

I appreciate everyone's input, and sorry to have wasted your time.

More so than your BK?
Maybe I should have said the most responsive stove. The BK was very controllable, but it just sat there and made heat. Unless it was on high, there was no fire to control. The Cod has flames unless it's on low. As soon as you touch the air control, you see instant results.
I'm a fire bug and I like to see the fire!

Well SWMBO has decided that a free-stander in front of the hearth is a non-starter. She is sick of the mess associated with burning wood. So we are going back to plan A to install a Mt Vernon AE pellet insert and new hearth/surround/mantel etc. The plus is that we will be burning the same fuel upstairs and down, the Timberwolf will be for sale shortly, and there will be less mess in the house. The minus is that we will be burning the same fuel upstairs and down (I don't like putting all my eggs in one basket).

I appreciate everyone's input, and sorry to have wasted your time.
Well, when you decide you want some real heat, the Cape Cod or any wood burner will do the trick! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.