Looking for info on CEMI Concept II

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Redge

Mar 6, 2006
This is my first year burning wood, I installed a vermont castings intrepid stove and it's working great, but I am still a rookie. A friend of mine recently bought a house that has a fireplace insert that looks to me like a stove insert. It's got a label on it that says CEMI and another that says concept II, that's all he knows about it and there was no info left with it. I was over there today and he is burning it like a regular fireplace with a grate and the doors open. I told him that he should probably burn it like I burn my stove but I wasn't sure. I surfed the net to try getting info on CEMI, but all I found was that they are out of business. So i'm looking for someone who knows anything about this insert or where I can find some literature on it. Also, the doors don't have glass like mine, they have what seems like plastic and it's not it good shape and needs replaced with glass maybe?

I have a CEMI as does my parents. They are really nice stoves, however I don't know of a direct connect kit so you have to clean your chimney every year or more. They put out a *LOT* of heat, are well built, and look nice as well. So I'd say they are worth it. Depending on your fire proficiency you could put a second fan in the fan box to boost airflow but then you should run your fires hot.

The front is actually isenglass, which is actually a form of mica. It will not melt and transfers heat much better than glass. You can get replacement sheets from stovepartsonline.com for about $30 or so.

Enjoy!

Hi, glad to find some info on these inserts. There is a Concept II at the place I just
moved and the socket head screw above the doors may be malfunctioning. I
assume it controls a dampener but it doesn't seem to make a difference whether
turned right or left. There is, of course, no manual around and this is the only site
I've seen any knowledge of these units.

1) what does this adjustment specifically do?
2) if a dampener, which direction is open?
3) Is it intended to be all the way open or all the way closed?

It really does work well for an insert...

Thanks!

When you turn it to the left, you should hear a slight creak sound as it lifts the damper plate. There should be some "weight" as you turn it. When you turn it right quickly you should hear a clank as the damper closes. It's really pretty simple; hard to break.

I usually run it open until the fire is good and going, then close it to keep in more of the heat. Even "closed" it still is open somewhat.

Also note the two air intake vents on either side of the hood where the warm air comes out. You should open these to get the draft going, close them partway to restrict the air. Handy if the firebox temps are skyrocketing. Also make sure those vents (inside the firebox on the side of each door) are not obstructed by junk and/or ash.

It is an excellent insert, and probably the best of the "non attached to chimney" ones. Still though it's nowhere near as good a draft as my girlfriend's stove/insert that is attached to the chimney via the 8 feet of AL pipe. The draft difference is impressive.

Chris

I have another general question, it seems lately the smoke seems to be coming into the house when we start the burner ( a lot more than when we first started using it) .. i just reread the October 22 post and iwll look to see fi the vents inside the firebox are blocked.

My question is there a special way I should be cleaning the insert/vents etc? Thanks....

Hm, I'd say check your chimney first with a qualified sweep. The inside vents should not be blocked, but make sure the damper is open when you light.

That said, mine will smoke the house when first starting when it's been cold for awhile. The chimney dumps cold air down, not up. Solution is to open a door to the outside in the room while lighting. Also note that things like dryers, heat systems, and the like all pull air up their chimneys and can reverse draw.

I love my CEMI.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.