Looking for information on Trailblazer Genesis 2400

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bitswap

Mar 5, 2010
Southwest
Hello everyone!

I just purchased a Trailblazer Genesis 2400 solid fuel stove manufactured by Heating Energy Systems whom has long past gone out of business. This stove will be used to heat a small cabin in the high country.

My efforts to search these forums (and the web) to obtain information on this stove has been fruitless. My main concern is regarding the 'legs' of this stove. Mine didn't come with any but has four holes in the bottom that appears to accommodate them. Fabricating legs is not a problem, but the question is how tall should they be? Can I just place the stove on a fireproof platform? There is a placard on the back that gives the clearance requirements which is very helpful.

Any information or manuals for this stove would be greatly appreciated! I have attached an image.

Thanks in advance,
Bit

Attachments

• Front-small.jpg
    Front-small.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 1,375
No help unfortunately . . . but I have to say when I first saw the picture I thought I was looking at a microwave oven.

I do not know about that stove but I checked around the store and all the legs are 7.5 - 8.5". Hope that helps
I would also take that grate out and burn without it.

Bitswap said:
Hello everyone!

I just purchased a Trailblazer Genesis 2400 solid fuel stove manufactured by Heating Energy Systems whom has long past gone out of business. This stove will be used to heat a small cabin in the high country.

My efforts to search these forums (and the web) to obtain information on this stove has been fruitless. My main concern is regarding the 'legs' of this stove. Mine didn't come with any but has four holes in the bottom that appears to accommodate them. Fabricating legs is not a problem, but the question is how tall should they be? Can I just place the stove on a fireproof platform? There is a placard on the back that gives the clearance requirements which is very helpful.

Any information or manuals for this stove would be greatly appreciated! I have attached an image.

Thanks in advance,

Bit

I have the brochure on the Trailblazer Genesis1800 & 2400 It states. Genesis is a fire place insert into a masonry fire place with block off plate installed 1700, 1800 and the 2400 hundred stove Can have legs or pedestal My 1800 has the legs welded on. Where are the holes located on the bottom ? The Genesis 2400 and the 2400 can have as option cat. Take you log grate out. My instruction manual on the 1700 & 1800 only states how to burn it The attachment is blurry you might be able to make some of it out. The wording is for the gold trim package on the door.

Attachments

• 2400.jpg
    2400.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 749
Wow! This is good stuff! I thought this was an insert by its design.

firefighterjake: Great minds think alike. When I describe this to my friends I usually start by: Picture a large microwave....

resiburner: That helps a lot! Thanks.

Fake Coal Burner: Confirms my suspicions about this being an insert with a 'platform' option.

The reason I bought this stove is because the clearance to the ceiling is stated at 24 inches and I'll be able to place the stove (with platform) at the side of the cabin where the ceiling is 64 inches safely without installing a ceiling heat shield.

I don't understand pulling the grate yet so I'll research this site to figure it out.

Thanks again for all your help, I knew Hearth.com would have some answers. I now have the answers I need to safely install and use this stove.

Later,
Bit

I was going to let this thread die, but saw a part in this stove that caused some concern.

I encountered a piece on the stove I don't understand. I'll try to describe it.

It is 21" x 2" x 2" and runs along the top of the stove just before burnt gases enter the second combustion chamber and has a grid pattern about 1/4" square along its length. I pried it from its seat which was surrounded by fireproof soft material and doing so exposed some of what it was made of which is unknown but white. This grid is very brittle. I suspect a catalytic device of some kind.

Any thoughts on this? I'm confused. I've cleaned it and think I should just reinstall it. Any ideas what this is?

Thanks,
Bit

Pictures.

Pictures on the way...

The first picture is a closeup. The grid pattern flows through to the stove pipe hole. The second picture is the grid in its relative position at the top of the stove.

The airflow from the main combustion chamber flows through this to the secondary chamber the out the stove pipe.

The grid is made of a white colored material, not metal and very brittle. I've never seen anything like it. Perhaps a pre-spark arrestor? My money is still on catalytic converter.

Attachments

• Grid-Detail.jpg
    Grid-Detail.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 666
  • Grid-Span.jpg
    Grid-Span.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 607
Yep. It's a cat.

The part number for the cat showers 3 pieces for the cat. on the net if its true. That is the cat form your pictures.
Don't let the thread die. Send us some pictures of the stove as you go along with the install.

Link to cat. stoves http://www.sandhillwholesale.com/catalytic-combustors-c-4.html

Scroll down to Cross Reference Chart
Look for your stove Part by HEATING ENERGY
2000C Trailblazer then click on picture on front page #3404 towards the bottom then click on picture on the right hand top corner of page to enlarge it. Thats the cat.

Wow! You guys are the Best!

From searching this site I think I'm fortunate the stove has a cat since the area I'm heating is small and the plan is to burn low (smolder) for a long time. I've seen that burning low will cause creosote buildup and the cat appears to handle that problem.

Thanks,
Bit

I'm sorry to bother you with yet another question but I am confused again. Yes, I'm easily confused.

Investigating this stove on purchase, I noticed it had a top and bottom damper. I though when I bough the stovepipe I wouldn't need to include a section in the stovepipe that included a damper saving me some funds.

Now it seems that this is not possible and I need a stovepipe damper. The reason being is that the top damper in the stove bypasses the cat and is obviously used to get the airflow going on start-up. It appears this damper should be closed during normal operation so the burnt gases flows through the cat. The stovepipe configuration I plan is a straight-shot through the ceiling.

Being inexperience with these stoves, do you think I need a stovepipe damper or can I control the airflow/burn rate exclusively with the bottom damper after the top damper is closed?

On another note, I've decided on a platform design and want to run it by to see if it passes muster. A 12" tall wooden frame made of 4/4's topped with 1" plywood. Then on top of the plywood, 1" square aluminum tubing spacers with a 3/4" sheet of cement board atop the spacers. No legs, the stove will just sit on the cement board. The placard on the back states the bottom should be insulated with 3/8" fireproof material and I'm assuming that is without legs installed.

Thanks again,
Bit

How tall is the chimney going to be from top of stove ? The manual states 12 feet to 25 feet straight up. Should be able to control it with the bottom dampener. You can add it later on if needed. My 1800 secondary air burn non cat. was 18 feet from top of stove straight up. I could control ok by the stove bottom dampener.
As for your number 2 question on the plat form this stove is designed to be put into a masonry fire place brick and motor. It gives no R value for insulation in the manual. The stove is going to be resting on its bottom no legs or pedestal right? All the heat will eventually radiate down ward. I would do some thing with air gapes non combustible like dura rock and space it between some bricks or cement blocks so the air can move under it to help your plat form stay cool Metal will transfer heat. like your stove. May be some others will chime in on this that has built some hearth's.
I like being bothered so you can pm or email me if you want. Make sure the pipe crimp goes down in the stove.

Thanks Fire.

I'm scrapping the platform in lieu of some 8-9" legs that should be readily available. Probably less expensive as well. Then put some cement board underneath the unit.

Resiburner: I'm in the market for some legs for this thing, since you've been so helpful and seem to have a store, please send me an email for the details.

Since the stove will be against a 5'4" wall, the pipe will be around 7' long from the stove top so I'll see how it goes without the pipe damper. Good information.

I don't understand the part about the 'pipe crimp', could you elaborate? As it stands now, there is a female 6" hole where the pipe connects with what appears to be fireproof cement of some kind along the rim. I don't see a way to get underneath the stovepipe after its installed.

Edit: I think I understand the pipe crimp now, it's an adapter that goes into the secondary chamber and not flush with the rim. Kinda a female/male thing.

Bit

https://www.hearth.com/what/specific.php Check out this page it has a lot of information on it stove Clarence etc. pipe diagrams. Scroll down on the right had side to how to install wood stove
Lots of good information You should be able to find what you need. Others will chime in and help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.