looking for input on new stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

marks0706

Sep 11, 2014
I'm looking for some. Input on lower priced stoves. I heat my 1000sf home with wood as much as possible. I have heard good things about Englander, any suggestions for my budget 1000$ .

Lots of good steel stoves in the $1,000 range that will handle the space in Jersey. I would suggest a 2.0 or 2.5 cubic foot firebox for overnight burns. If you have the chimney already. If not it will cost as much as the stove.

Drolet and Englander are a couple of quality stoves that will get the job done.

You can buy a reducer and see how much draft you still have. How tall is the flue? Is it 8" all the way to the top? Single, double wall?

For possible stoves take a look at the Pacific Energy True North, Timberwolf EPA 2200 or the Drolet stoves BB mentioned already. For Englander stoves you can take a look at the 13NC but be aware that with its 1.8 cu ft firebox you may not get full overnight burns. You will also need a hearth with a r-value of 2.0. Englander is also just coming out with the Madison stove. It has a 2.4 cu ft firebox which should easily get you through the night and only needs ember protection as hearth. Here is a recent thread about the stove: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/madison-in-my-burn-trailer.128150/ It is not that easy to find yet and real world experiences are just coming in.

Please be aware that any modern EPA-stove requires dry wood with an internal moisture content of less than 20% to function correctly. Do you already have several seasoned cords of wood?

I do have quite a bit of wood ready to go and plenty more readily available. Last year we heated with a loaner that is some sort of wood burning boiler? I cant imagine its very efficient. And being in the living room its quite the eyesore. But cant complain too much it worked

I do have quite a bit of wood ready to go and plenty more readily available

What does "readily available" mean? If it is still a standing tree you need to cut it down and split it soon (aka now!). Wood only dries when split and stacked in a sunny and windy spot, not when it is still in logs or as a tree. You may be good for this winter but also think about the coming ones. I split in the spring the wood for the winter 18 month later that my firewood gets at least 2 full summers of drying time.

So after looking around on here and in person I decided on an englander 30. Will be picking it up tomorrow and hope to install by next weekend. Im slightly worried that its more stove than I need but is that actually a concern?

So after looking around on here and in person I decided on an englander 30. Will be picking it up tomorrow and hope to install by next weekend. Im slightly worried that its more stove than I need but is that actually a concern?

Depends. You can always just fill the firebox only to about half and burn a small, hot fire. You will rarely be able to just fill the firebox up and let the stove rip unless you want to sleep with open windows during winter. Not the most efficient way of using the stove and the frequent startups may also lead to more creosote accumulation in the flue (clean regularly!) but doable. Make sure to have a hearth with a r-value of 1.5.

Status
Not open for further replies.