Looking for insert for a Heatform fireplace.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

usner21

Oct 16, 2009
Eastern PA
I am looking for an insert for a heatform fireplace. House was built in 1987 and I have attached a pic of the fireplace I want to add an insert too. Any suggestions on what to buy or what will fit? Also what will I need to do to have an insert put in such as Hearth extension or flue/damper changes? The size of my fire box is 33” wide, 28” high, and 24” deep from the center of the front to the back wall. The width of the back of the firebox is 22". The walls slope in pretty good from front to back. Hearth size is 12". Thanks for ideas and or input! I am a newbie with this stuff so take it easy on me!

Attachments

• IMG_1492.jpg
    IMG_1492.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 567
You can search the various manufacturers of wood burning inserts & most of them will have t
an insert sizing guide to help you decide which models will fit.
You're definitely going to have to disable or remove your damper,
& you're definitely gonna need a hearth extension...

A flat front insert like my Vista will need less of an extension than one that sticks out of the fireplace.

Welcome to the forums, US !!

I think the first thing I want to know is if a Heatform FP is the equivelant to my Heatalator FP, before I can proceed in good faith here? BB, DAK, Rick, someone ?

My original set up, stripped down

PIC00004-1.jpg

Insert in. (Wow, that's more than 1 year ago !!!)

sept093.jpg

US, to the right of the FP, is there a wall? It looks like it in the pic. If so, clearances could be an issue.

And yes, you will need to build out your hearth area.

Reactions: wildwildwest
Bumping up.

Need more input :)

Thanks for the info guys. I am really looking for the easiest way to go without having to do a ton of midifcations. I am considering the Quadra-Fire 2700i. Any input on this or models like it that I should look at?

Here is another picture of my fireplace. My hearth is raised and there is carpet in front of it. What does this mean in termas of a hearth extension and clearances?

Attachments

• IMG_1494.jpg
    IMG_1494.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 430
usner21 said:
Here is another picture of my fireplace. My hearth is raised and there is carpet in front of it. What does this mean in termas of a hearth extension and clearances?

You'll either need to extend the hearth out or find a stove that fits back enough into the fireplace to give you the specified setback, probably about 18".

US, depending upon your final decision, the sides & top will probably be ok. There will be clearances listed in the manuals of the inserts you look at.

How raised is the hearth (height) ? You'll want to protect the rug no matter what the outcome.

While you are checking out inserts, you need to know the square footage of the home you are heating and go with an insert that can handle alittle bit more square feet. That'd probaly help you get more input as well. And a p[ic of a floor plan, if you have one or can make one.

Interior or exterior chimney?

Got wood ? ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.