Looking for insert/free-standing stove--some concerns/questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thinkxingu

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2007
S.NH
Hello There,
I'm looking for something to replace my inefficient fireplace. I am after a nice look, but I've got a couple concerns/questions:

1. Local dealer says steel stoves vent from top, so cannot use on hearth. Is this true? If so, I need to look at cast iron/soapstone.
2. This is my main audio/video room, so I'm nervous about fan noise and look I don't like the look of a stove shoved in to a fireplace, which is why I'm leaning towards free-standing.
3. I like the Quadrafire 7100, but it looks like that won't work with a fireplace, right?

Ideas? Suggestions on models/brands?

Thanks!

SML

Correct, the Quad 7100 is a fireplace system, like the Kozy or BIS units. It doesn't get placed in a fireplace as an insert. It is the fireplace.

You can put a steel stove in a fireplace if the fireplace opening is tall enough. What are the fireplace dimensions? Is this a masonry fireplace or a prefab unit? If you could post a picture of the current setup, that would help with suggestions.

BeGreen,
You're probably right, so here you go! I have not made the measurements yet, but I'm not sure it would fit a stove (my 13NC seems like it would be too high).

Thanks,

SML

Attachments

• fireplace.JPG
    fireplace.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 184
Is it all masonry inside, or is it a pre-fab steel firebox? Rick

Fossil,
It is all masonry except for that trim/door assembly. It tapers back on the inside.

Thanks,

SML

SML, Pretty similar situation with my fireplace, as it is in our main television home theater room. Similar style fireplace also. The noise level of the fan does not seem to be too excessive for us. We think that it looks more finished than a stove stuck in the fireplace. Heat output has been eccellent also.

Attachments

• DSCF0617.JPG
    DSCF0617.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 158
Status
Not open for further replies.