Looking for insight

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clydeburner

Nov 12, 2015
NNJ
Looking for a low budget used wood boiler either open or closed, I want to set it up in the garage tied in to my existing Oil boiler (baseboard/indirect tank) through a plate exchanger on the return piping of the oil boiler with the proper zoning and pumps on both systems. I would be planning to add storage to help with efficiency and making the future boiler upgrade a little easier.

Does this sound like a set up that could work and what used boilers are good to look for?

I know gasification is the way to go for efficiency, but I am looking to do this cheap as I don't pay for oil much and my wood stove heats my entire house(free/cheap wood). I'd like the convenience of being able to thermostatically control the heat. I'm trying to keep the wife happy and find another wood burning toy I can mess with.... ha ha... so please let's hear what everyone thinks

Reactions: flyingcow
I have thought the same thing as I continue to read and contact dealers, getting their sales pitches. I had found a Tarm Mfg 1980 supposedly not used for many years (sat new) and the last 9 or so it was used, with a small tank and pumps asking $1900.
I am sceptical of a system that age, though it could be just the starter pkg I am thinking of.
I found out at work I can get a used propane tank for added storage for free. Will just have to get my BIL to weld up the tappings and some vertical legs.
I had hoped some could have given older units to look for or maybe some to stay away from...
An OWB may be an option too. I'm trying to touch on all ideas and get feed back, but the room seems quiet, maybe with winter winding down and the sun out everyone is outside enjoying it ha ha
I'll keep plugging away and who knows....
nice to see you came back to make sure I was still ticking Thanks @velvetfoot

Reactions: flyingcow
Used stuff tends to come down to more on how it was used & maintained, rather than the brand. Maybe with the odd exception that I'm not thinking about right now.

A diet of full loads of green wood with little cleaning and improper installation techniques will drastically shorten the lifespan of most anything.

Tarm is a good name, for what that is worth.

Thanks for the responses
I would agree 100% that ANYTHING used would have to be throughly checked for how it was run/operated/maintained will depict it's life as @maple1 stated. New would be ideal but $10k-$20k is hard to swallow
I am looking used as a start up to get a boiler installed then in the future have that excuse to give the Mrs to get a new unit, as I won't be saving money by doing the install, it will just be an out of pocket expense for us. Like I said in the OP I don't pay for oil (much) or wood(currently sitting on 8-10 cord and will be felling more starting this weekend)
It would be nice not having to put as much love into CSS only to have to bring it in through the house to the stove when it could be in the garage or outside, plus possibly having steady heat all day without having to labor to the stove. Again thanks for responding.

Status
Not open for further replies.