Looking for more info regarding install into existing fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrr211

Aug 24, 2013
Massachusetts
Hi all,

Based on reviews, reccomendations, and responses froma previous thread i posted on here I am purchasing a Quadra Fire Classic Bay Stove.

I had the installer out at my home today because I am going to install my stove on an interior wall of my home. Background: I bought the home 1 1/2 yrs ago and it was completely renovated. The real estate agent showed me an interior wall and said "there is a fireplace behind this wall, in case you ever want to reopen it etc". So with that said I want to put the free standing stove in front of that wall and just feed my pipe into where the fireplace was/still is. I have an open floorplan and it is a great location.

The installer came and took a look. He said my clay flue was in good shape, but that in my basement he did not see a clean out. He said that means the cleanout for the old fireplace was on my main level not in the basement where my furnace cleanout is(i have two seperate chimneys). Since they built around the fireplace he suggested that for my install I run a liner from stove through chimney to roof. Said for cleaning purposes much easier. Said it was completely safe, and will not affect the look, or performance of the stove. Stated this liner would run about $250-$300 (I have a single story ranch so the length isnt too bad).

My question to you all is does this sound right? Company has been great so far and the owner came highly reccommended. I'm worried about safety, ease of use, maintenance, and performance of the stove.
Also will there be any other items that will need to be purchased that will drive up the cost? I have a baby in the home and we like all of you certainly are on a budget thanks to this wonderful economy :)

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

A liner is a must. Make sure the liner is stainless steel. Having no cleanout in the basement doesnt matter. You should get a "Tee" on the bottom of the liner that allows for cleaning out of the liner.

A liner is a must. Make sure the liner is stainless steel. Having no cleanout in the basement doesnt matter. You should get a "Tee" on the bottom of the liner that allows for cleaning out of the liner.

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'm confused as to how I will access the liner/T pipe for the clean out. It sounds like he will be cutting a 3 or 4 inch hole into the wall to the chimney or fireplace. Then going to to stove into wall then up chimney at 90 degrees Won't the ash etc just fall there? Unless with the T I get a connection for my ash vacuum that can go inside the pipe? Thanks again.

If you just bend the liner around at 90* the ash may build up in the bend and block the liner. It would be best to use tee and get a small vacuum hose that fits inside the tee to clean it out.

......or pull the stove out to clean the liner. My insert has a a cleanout tee on the bottom of the liner. It will be totally useless as far as cleaning it through there. There isn't enough room between the bottom of the tee and the floor to really access it. It would also depend on how far off the floor the stove exhaust is. Mine is very close to the floor. It would be cool to have a smaller ash removal pipe hard piped to the bottom of the tee with a plug in it that is accessible. Then you could just connect the vac to it and brush the flue with the vac running. Some installations might allow this to be possible.

I would agree that a liner is the way to go, either SS flex or rigid pellet vent of the correct diameter for your installation.

You live in Massachusetts and the installer was suggesting a liner because your chimney doesn't have a clean out? You MUST have a liner to the top of the chimney with an accessable clean out at the bottom of the run, per MA building code. When you make the turn to go up the chimney, make sure they don't bury a T in the chimney cause then you'll have to clean the vent blind from the roof. The installer should be using some type of masonry adapter. You have what will be a masonry adapted installation, Using double wall venting down below and masonry line kit up above with a masonry adapter connecting the two. 2-3-- for liner is cheap, masonry adapter will be about $70, lower end connections about $250 and labor in the neighborhood of $500.

Installer should have Workers Comp, HIC Registration, Solid Fuel License or Unrestricted CSL and an NFI Certification would be great too.

Status
Not open for further replies.