Looking for new propane fireplace insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ylomnstr

Feeling the Heat
May 28, 2008
Staatsburg, NY
So I finally finished my basement. We have a fairly large fireplace down there with an existing propane stove which was there and working when we bought the house a few years ago. I haven't used it since, but now that the basement is finished, I plan on using this as the primary heat down there. See this thread for the history: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/37966/

My question is, I'll probably look into replacing this at some point, but I don't know where to start. I have more experience with pellet stoves. What I'd like this to do is heat a the basement on my split level. It's only a few hundred square feet of an area. I'd like something that can be flush mount and not stick out like my current insert. I'd like something quiet too, with the option to turn on a fan to move the heat on it, and hook it up to an external thermostat. Obviously, price is a concern as I'd like to keep it low. What do you suggest?

If you look at the thread I posted above, the gas line comes through the wall, and runs along the base of the fireplace into the insert. Will the same setup work for a newer stove? All of the photos I see of these inserts never show an exposed gas line. Not sure how they do it. Do the drill through the back of the fireplace from the outside or something?

Anyway, any suggestions or comments would be appreciated. Thank you.

Rob

if i want a fireplace outside my home ..then how far i keep fireplace from my home...thanks in advance

source:soothingfireplaces.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.