Looking for New Propane Outdoor Gas Grill

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have any suggestions? I'm waiting till October / November to get a good buy. I want one with high btu burners for winter cooking. Also, grates that don't rust easily.

We love our Weber. 15 years old with very few problems.

We love our Weber. 15 years old with very few problems.

I bought a Weber (NG model) as well about 15 years ago have had zero issues with it and still works fine. This summer I decided I wanted to get into smoking as well as grilling so i bought a pellet grill, I like that better than my Weber:)

Does the Weber have stainless grates. My grates on the Charmglow a little over 6 years old are rusted. I keep the grill covered too!!

yes they do, my weber has been out on my deck in the PNW elements for over 15 years, no rust on the grates

I guess you get what you pay for. Nice!!!

Yeah it wasn't cheap, Just looking at webers website and looks like they upgraded their gills quite a bit. I have the Genesis Gold, but looks nothing like the new models.

Here is what I have
135685-1.jpg

Im very happy with my charbroil grill. Its not the infrared just regular 4 burner with a side burner. I picked it up this summer it has nice heavy cast grates that are easy to clean and havent rusted on me yet also has lifetime warranty on the burners.(thats for all the charbroil commercial grills) I also have the charbroil TRU Infrared turkey fryer which I love.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_404329-8221...=1&currentURL=?Ntt=charbroil+grill&facetInfo=

Im very happy with my charbroil grill. Its not the infrared just regular 4 burner with a side burner. I picked it up this summer it has nice heavy cast grates that are easy to clean and havent rusted on me yet also has lifetime warranty on the burners.(thats for all the charbroil commercial grills) I also have the charbroil TRU Infrared turkey fryer which I love.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_404329-82210-463241113_0__?productId=3852001&Ntt=charbroil grill&pl=1&currentURL=?Ntt=charbroil+grill&facetInfo=

I think the key for me will be having some grates that don't rust. My grill is rusting on the painted surfaces which doesn't bother me. I just don't like biting down on metal rust chards in my steak. :)

Charbroil lasted me 10+years, cast iron rack w/ss exterior. Webers will last even longer.

I think the key for me will be having some grates that don't rust. My grill is rusting on the painted surfaces which doesn't bother me. I just don't like biting down on metal rust chards in my steak. :)

Ive only had it for about 4 months now but so far not a sign of rust. After every meal I clean the grates with an orange based cleaner and oil them regularly.

I got our first gas grill this summer. It is the basic Weber Spirit with cast iron grills. So far I love it.

I have a Weber Genesis with cast iron grates and love every minute of using it.

Cast iron crates don't rust if you keep them seasoned...at least mine haven't had a spot of rust in about 3 years. Stainless grates don't get as hot nor do they hold the heat compared to cast.

I went through 3 cheapo grills before this one. The internals (burners, burner mounts, etc) would always rust/rot away. Everything in the Weber is cast aluminum. My kids will probably be using this one after I'm in the ground.

Personally I am a huge fan of Broil King. No rust, no cover and it sits out in the elements all day and night. Very solid build too. Made in Canada.

However I almost bought a webber but there was no local sales point...

Andrew

There are good buys to be had on CL for grills. People moving usually don't want to bring them. Good stuff goes fast. You need to react asap with a good listing.

Another Weber fan here. Parts are available and will continue to be. They last forever. I have 2 webers. A small 2 burner one at the camper and a 3 burner genesis at home. Neither one get covered at all and neither one have rusted at all! Both ignitors still work after 12+ years. Worth every penny. Check your local craigslist. They are available pretty often in my area for fractions of the new price. Even if they need grates or something, you will save $100's of dollars.

Cast iron is fine and so is stainless but the new grills seem to be using cast iron coated with ceramic. That ceramic falls off and exposes the iron plus who wants to eat chunks of ceramic.

What's the deal on ceramic coated cast iron grates?

Reactions: Jack Straw
Didn't know that. I'm glad that Weber cast grills are straight cast iron.

Cast iron is fine and so is stainless but the new grills seem to be using cast iron coated with ceramic. That ceramic falls off and exposes the iron plus who wants to eat chunks of ceramic.

What's the deal on ceramic coated cast iron grates?

I don't know what the deal is, but +1 on them being terrible. I think they use a pretty low quality cast iron and the grates turn to crap quickly. My FIL has used his new grill with those grates less than 20 times and the grates are deteriorating pretty rapidly already.

I prefer cast iron, but I'd take a heavy duty SS grate over a light weight cast grate any day. You need a lot of thermal mass to get a good sear and keep the cooking temps up.

Status
Not open for further replies.