Looking for non epa compliant wood burning stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My local hd has the nc 30 englander. Saw it.
For the price they are hard to beat. There are absolutely much better stoves out there but they cost allot more

I sense the wrath of Brother Bart coming...;lol

I don't care if anybody ever buys another one. Got mine and keeping warm now for coming up on ten years. Three years ago I made the offer of a hundred bucks for anybody showing me a thread where I recommended that anybody buy one. No takers yet. Though if they search real hard the next week I did just to see if anybody found it. >>

Lots of happy NC-30 users here, including one of our moderators. You don't hear many complaints about Englander.

US Stove... a whole nuther story.

The 30 is nice just hope you have the ash scooping touch.

I sense the wrath of Brother Bart coming...
I am also pretty sure bart would agree that there are better stoves out there but the 30 is possibly the best value stove around.

The 30 is more efficient and puts out more heat then many stoves twice the price

I am also pretty sure bart would agree that there are better stoves out there but the 30 is possibly the best value stove around.

"Better" I can see but "much better"? Given the tested emissions the 30NC burns pretty clean and also seems to be built to last (see BB's stove). Not sure if you find a secondary burn stove that is really more than maybe "slightly better", especially when upgrading from a smokedragon. I guess a BK stove will be "better" but even those don't offer huge efficiency gains anymore compared with a 30NC.
I don't care if anybody ever buys another one. Got mine and keeping warm now for coming up on ten years. Three years ago I made the offer of a hundred bucks for anybody showing me a thread where I recommended that anybody buy one. No takers yet. Though if they search real hard the next week I did just to see if anybody found it. >>

Did not think you would recommend it but you did object to the assumption the 30NC is an inferior stove just because it is cheap.

"Better" I can see but "much better"? Given the tested emissions the 30NC burns pretty clean and also seems to be built to last (see BB's stove). Not sure if you find a secondary burn stove that is really more than maybe "slightly better", especially when upgrading from a smokedragon. I guess a BK stove will be "better" but even those don't offer huge efficiency gains anymore compared with a 30NC.
Well yeah they are good for the money but i am sorry there are many stoves out there that are better. Do you not agree? It is not all about emissions there are allot of things that go into making a great stove stove.

S'plain what makes one stove better than another one Ben?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Well yeah they are good for the money but i am sorry there are many stoves out there that are better. Do you not agree? It is not all about emissions there are allot of things that go into making a great stove stove.

Not sure if I would call other stoves "better". Better for me would be features like higher efficiency, durability, ease-of-use etc. And in those areas I don't think the 30NC is really worse than other stoves. Now, if you would have said it is not the prettiest stove out there I would have wholeheartedly agreed. But I also never argue about tastes if someone sees that point different.

Ease of operation, durability, heat output, ease of service, efficiency, aesthetics, value And many others. Allot of it comes down to personal preference as well. I am by no means bashing the 30 it is a good stove and like i said very possibly the best value out there. I really don't see why we are arguing about this. I am done with it i gave my opinion take it or leave it

Left. >>

Inquiring minds want to know.
Not looking like a black washing machine. [emoji12]

Example: the BK Ashford is better than the Princess.

Reactions: quotejso
Better is somewhat subjective but in this case there are differences. The 30NC is a great value and a proven good heater. There are notable quality differences here though, starting with the baffle. The latch mechanism on the BK stoves is notably nice too. And it has added features like the long burn and even temperature output via thermostatic regulation. This gives the BK a more appliance like burn.

Yea but u could get 3 thirties to one bk and the look is similar the latch is simple yet effective sure theres no cat but it burns wood

Value is even more subjective. One could also get 3 30NCs to one PH, but folks still buy them.

Value is even more subjective. One could also get 3 30NCs to one PH, but folks still buy them.
The ph is soapstone and cast iron it has more value in the materials.

The ph is soapstone and cast iron it has more value in the materials.
So why do you have a ph and not 3 30s? Like i have said before the 30 is a great value. But there are things on it they obviously did to cut cost. That does not make it a bad stove but there are better ones available. Now everyone needs to make their decision on whether the other stoves are worth the extra money i cant do that for anyone.

I really like the 30 but shoveling ash is tough especially when its mixed with hot coals. I am getting better but its hard not to make the ash cloud. I hope the ashpan and grate of the ph is all its cracked up to be. The 30 isnt going anywhere unless I get a unforseen bonus

Getting in late, and after a few punches have been thrown.. but.. I bought our current stove off Craigslist for $1700, one year old and perfect. If you liked your H1.. you will very much like a Mansfield I bet. Use a CL search engine to hit a larger area..

Nice recommendation for the elm stoves, they are hand made I think Vermont? A little pricey though

Status
Not open for further replies.