Looking for opinions on indoor composting toilets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JBinKC

Feeling the Heat
Jan 14, 2006
Lake of the Ozarks
I am doing some research on indoor composting toilet systems and wanted to get some honest opinions on them and any potential drawbacks like odor/flies and should they be urine separating systems. Its kind of hard finding much detailed unbiased info on them since they are not very prolific in use. One thing I do know is my wood ashes would finally be put to good use as it it is used as a desiccating component in the systems.

The background on this is there are rumors the district wants to raise the monthly charge from $35 to $85/month for sanitary sewer service because of its shaky financial condition (Note: I pay another somewhat exorbitant rate for water). Nevertheless, I never entered the contract to construct the current sanitary system and I think that rate is highway robbery and installing a composting toilet would realize a very fast payback period if those rates increase.

BTW with exception to the sanitary system from my toilet the rest of my lines are greywater are not part of the sanitary system and drain tiled.

7932617637315816.JPG

Would there be any issues with the waste disposal? They would figure out you were not paying their fee. Could they get the EPA after you for anything?

Matt

If you want to get the government involved a large portion of the current system wasn't done to code in the first place. The pipe in portions of the system wasn't buried deep enough with some systems exposed. BTW I sit on the BOD elected a year ago as a disgruntled party representing the people. So I know what is going on.

Composting isn't illegal and once fully composted (it takes 6 months) for feces to turn into bacteria free compost material. I would eventually use it in my garden. Urine is also a natural fertilizer and likely in a few decades my prediction will be separated and saved given potential shortages in phosphate fertilizers.

I like the Clivus Multrum if you have the space. I plan on upgrading to that style when I build my boiler shed. I have several friends with the Sunmar n.e. and they wish they had the electric models for better urine evaporation. If you can separate the urine at the source you are ahead of the game.I have the Sunmar Centrex and don't recommend it. :)

If you really want an inexpensive, efficient, and odor free composting toilet, take a look at the Humanure toilet. A local business in town, very green in every respect, uses two of these in its office area. I use one in my shop. No odor.

Anybody heard of any progress in the way of a methane producing gas digester/ composting toilet?

Sounds like my stomach on a bad day.

Status
Not open for further replies.