Q&A Looking for outside wood burning furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

We have been looking for a woodburning central unit that goes outside the house. We have the duct work in the house now and we are looking for one that does not use water. I have seen them in the past but I don't know where to find them now. We also have 80 acres of wooded land and a lot of dead wood out there just going to waste.

Answer:

Outdoor air units are quite inefficient, as air is not a good conductor or storage medium for heat. There are very few units of this type, however, I thin US STOVE CO (Pittsburg, Tn) , under their Clayton label, makes one. It might be better to use a hot water unit, and use a duct-mounted heat exchanger to change the heat to hot air. Also, consider putting a boiler in a garage or outbuilding so you do not have to brave the weather to load it. In addition, there will be less heat loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.