Looking for propane tank in MA

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BenW

Hearth Supporter
Nov 16, 2008
Leominster,MA
I am looking for a 250 or 500 gallon propane tank. I live in central MA but will travel to NH, NY, VT, CT,RI, Southern Maine. I found an old post about this place (Call Blue Flame Gas in Barre VT and ask for Mike 802-479-3306. ) I will try to call them next week but was wondering if anyone had one closer or knows of a closer source. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks -Ben

Me too. A couple of em actualy. If you don't mind, report back what you find out. I am getting ready to go nonpressurised even though I don't want to.

guys, make a run here to Michigan and pick up some . I have about 25 of them. $250 ea. and if you get several I'll deal.
leaddog

BenW said:
I am looking for a 250 or 500 gallon propane tank. I live in central MA but will travel to NH, NY, VT, CT,RI, Southern Maine. I found an old post about this place (Call Blue Flame Gas in Barre VT and ask for Mike 802-479-3306. ) I will try to call them next week but was wondering if anyone had one closer or knows of a closer source. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks -Ben

Remember to look throug the past threads on this topic for dealing w/ propane tanks in MA - we have some really FUBAR regulations, which may make life difficult if attempting to do a closed / pressurized system...

Gooserider

I have been trying on and off all summer to get used tanks around SE MA. Zero luck. A couple years ago a distributor in the next town over had a small explosion, in the relative sense. Only blew up 1/2 his place and nobody got hurt. Then, earlier this summer, a brand new underground tank got hit by a car and the company that owns it didn't report it, even with our local fire dept responding. Big fuss about that. It seems no body around here wants any thing to do with selling used tanks. Also as Goose pointed out MA has ASME standards that apply and the used tanks we are looking for don't have the manufacture's tag still attached. I did get 1 tank from a company 2.5 hrs away that said they had plenty. Get there, they had 2, the 1 I took was OK (at best) and the other one was JUNK. Mind you they were "$400 ea not a penny less". That was a long ride home.......
New tanks. In MA you need to be a licensed Propane Distributor to deal in these size tanks. I have a commercial account at a supply house and they can pull up my pricing but they can't sell me one. New, they were a little less than $1200 a couple of months ago.
Still need one more 500 my self.......

Rob

I went to Suburban Propane in Marlborough yesterday and I talked to Steve. They said that they didn't have any tanks that were bad enough to sell but to check back. So at least there open to the idea. I also left a message with Blue Flame gas but have not heard back from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.