Looking for service/maintenance provider in southern RI

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OldBrit

Apr 15, 2011
Rhode Island
Hi guys, it's been a while since I last posted. I'm looking for your recommendations on someone that can conduct a pre-season cleaning of my Harman XXV and Quadra Fire Classic Bay 1200 and then be available for any emergency support that might come up during the coming season.

Thanks
OldBrit

Wakefield fireplace and grill is a Harmon dealer and should be able to provide the service you are looking for. They installed my enviro, but I have been doing the cleaning myself

Thanks Guys. I did check out www.pelletstoveservice.com (scott) but he seems to specifically exclude RI from his service area; strange!
Wakefield fireplace and grill is actually where I bought my Harman and although I had no issues with them regarding price, installation etc they wanted to charge me a home visit callout charge when the blower fan failed during the warranty period. I felt that this was rather underhand and so I would prefer to work with someone else although I would not necessarily exclude them.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

If they honor the warranty why not just remove and see if they will exchange the fan?

Thanks Guys. I did check out www.pelletstoveservice.com (scott) but he seems to specifically exclude RI from his service area; strange!

His website used to say something about not being allowed to do work in RI because of various regulations the state had in his field.

Bio, they came to my house in a timely fashion, found the problem and replaced the fan. I have absolutely no issue with that. They did, however, try to give me an invoice for the visit which is incorrect. They backed down when I told the service tech that I would take this up with Harman. Maybe the mistake was genuine, perhaps there are other manufacturers that only warrant the part. Either way it makes me nervous when I have just spent several thousand dollars on a brand new unit.

Thanks Moey, just saw your comment. We have some strange regulations in RI. That would not surprise me at all.

Can't say as to what the area norm is for service calls. Had a car warranty that I would have to pay for the initial diagnostic but everything else was covered. Some cover their butt so don't have repeat nuisance calls. Like one poster had issue with fan that was not properly cleaned.

Wakefield fireplace and grill is actually where I bought my Harman and although I had no issues with them regarding price, installation etc they wanted to charge me a home visit callout charge when the blower fan failed during the warranty period. I felt that this was rather underhand and so I would prefer to work with someone else although I would not necessarily exclude them.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
In 2010 we received a notice from the RI Contractor's Registration Board that we were in violation of Rhode Island State Law for "advertising" in RI without displaying our contractor registration number. That went unresolved and is now being handled legally with an attorney. That's all I can say. Until it is resolved. We do not service Rhode Island. Bring me the stove and I'll work on it hourly without the service call. Sad, really. RHode Island needs to get their priorities in line and stop preying on out of state contractors.

Status
Not open for further replies.