Looking for short stove to fit in front of fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elsa

Dec 20, 2007
Baltimore, MD
Hi,
I've been reading through this forum to see if there are other solutions that would work for us, but I decided to post a message anyway.

We have a room (study) in our 1800's house where we'd like to put a freestanding wood stove. The room is about 15x15 with 12' ceilings, and is not central, so we do not need it to heat too much space.

The firebox is 44" wide x 25" tall x 12" deep. The hearth is 36" deep by 64" wide. There is some wood paneling around the masonry of the fireplace (and wood cabinets extending out on both sides). The masonry of the fireplace (including the firebox) extends 50" wide x 42" tall. We really don't want to have to have heat shields installed on the wood.

We've been looking at the Jotul F100 QT and Jotul F3CB (w/ short legs). The Morso 2B (if it can do short legs) is another possibility.

Basically, we need something short and small, that will look nice in an older house. Something like a parlor stove.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Elsa

I second the Intrepid II (though I'm a bit biased).
21-1/2" wide X 21-1/4" deep. With flue set up for top exit, 25-1/4" high with regular legs (21" high as top exit with optional short legs). Can obtain shorter heights by setting up flue for rear exit.
Check out the manual online at Vermont Castings for specific clearances etc.

Corie said:
-Intrepid II with short legs (do they even still make one with short legs???)

-Quadrafire Yosemite

Yep... 3" or 6" legs, definitely need the bottom heat shield for that puppy.

Two factors to take into account:
1. Clearances - because of the wood - so check the side and top clearances.
2. Loading - if top loading, then unit cannot be 1/2 way in, etc. - front loading is ok - side load probably not.

The intrepid is a nice stove, but certainly one of the more expensive small stoves (especially in enamel) ...so it depends if budget comes into play. Heating wise, even the little Jotul 602 would easily do the job and has a classic look.

Also, you have to take into account how you are going to use the stove. Of the models mentioned, the intrepid is the only cat (I think). That means, in general, that it does not heat up as quickly from a cold start and takes a little more in user input (the others don't have bypass modes, etc.). On the other side of that same coin, a small cat stove may burn longer and more evenly (which you may or may not want...some folks want quick HOT heat).

All the stove brands you are considering are top notch, so it is mostly the fit, budget and other factors such as what I mentioned above.

Note: Hearthstone Craftbury may be one to add to the list.

Well these have been very quick responses!

The Jotul 602 and the Craftsbury both are too tall - unless they have short leg options.

As to how quickly it takes to warm up, or how much user input - we have a Woodstock soapstone stove in our garage/cottage, and when we don't use it for a while, it does take some memory and work to get it going (I love the stove, but it's the catalytic converter that takes a little more effort - and we don't use it all that much) - but in the house will be a different story. I don't mind it taking a while, because anything will make the room warmer than it is now, even if it takes a little bit.

I think that front-loading will probably be our best - even though I'm used to side loading with the Woodstock, top loading would be cool, but I'm not expecting to have that possibility.

I didn't realize the Intrepid even had an option for short legs - that's good to know!

Thanks,
Elsa

For front loading, you were probably on the right course already! Those two Jotuls.

I'm not up to date enuf to know if the 602 and HS have shorter leg options......but the online manuals should mention it, or brochures.

The Intrepid does have front doors, but you cannot really load through them. OTOH, the top loading on it (if it works out in clearances, distance out, etc.) allows for more lbs of wood than most equiv. size stoves.

Sounds like you are ahead of the game all by yourself.....

Don't know if the Hearthstone Tribute might work. It's a non cat soapstone.

Status
Not open for further replies.