Looking for small pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burd

Feeling the Heat
Feb 29, 2008
Bell bell Pa.
Ive been burning wood now for five seasons and I love it. But in the winter when it really gets cold the basement will drop into the 40s 50s and it make the floors cold. So ill run a small propane heater to get the chill out of there and it works great. But im looking for some thing more permit. So my thinking was if I could find a small pellet stove to keep the basement warmer.
1. Can I run vent pipe horizontally
2. how hot will the vent pipe get
3. Can I put a pellet stove in a basement with ceiling heights at 6'10''
the basement is only 700sq with old cider block walls. We only have the washer and dryer storage down there.
IM just looking for some thing to keep the chill out
]What do you guys think

I can only comment on the Magnum Baby Countryside as I own one. I'm heating 750sq ft with no problems. It can be vented horizontally. I can hold my hand on my vent pipe when it's running but I can't tell you the temperature...obviously not too hot. I don't see a problem with the lower ceiling...just less space to heat.

The Baby has a small footprint and does a good job but needs a little TLC to make it run well. See this current thread for details:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/86439/

Shop around a bit...bought mine on Ebay for what I thought was a good price.

I'm sure many good small stoves available that will work for you.

Are you looking for small footprint or small btu rating? or both?

Whats your budget like?

Got a heat loss calculation?

Heat loss calculation would be. If it ant burnin im losing heat. Im only kidding the house is close to 90 yrs old. The basement and first floor has block walls The old cider blocks. I insulated the second floor the best I could and Im holding heat better then I did but the basment has been a challange. with the insert on the first floor I have no problem heating that space But with that type of construction it hard to hold temps with out burnin. So it seem that every time I reheat space the cold air makes it way to the basement.

Small BTU
Budget IF its broke I can fix it ( one can hope)
Im not lookin to spend a lot on something thats not going to be burnin 24/7 (like the woodinsert)
$600to $800

Lots of stoves in the 30,000 BTU range.

As Smoke show said, whats your budget? Thats the determining factor.

Basement install will require more vent also. Little more money there. Also bumping up to a 4" vent will give the stove some breathing room. Better than being close to the max EVL on 3" vent (15' EVL)

Status
Not open for further replies.