Looking for some guidance on a wood FP to pellet insert upgrade...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kap is the Quad expert, but bigger is often better. If the Mt Vernon is fully updated, I would consider it.

Thanks Wilbur not sure what you mean by fully updated ?? Meaning a latest rev for the specific model ? How would I tell what the latest updates would be ?
I suspect what is meant is the shop would get the stove and do any cleanup and upgrades before installing it in your place. I'd just check and make sure it's not an E2 version.

Our P61 can go into low burn for days in our 1800 sq ft house with relatively no issues, it burns like that a lot in the shoulder seasons of spring and fall and very rarely in mid winter. I say relatively meaning essentially no issues, like the glass gets dirty a little fast is about it. But that's just in a mode that lets it run that low. Otherwise I set it up to come on and off. Then it goes into a pretty high burn rate and shuts down a couple hours later. I assume Quad must have a similar feature.

Last edited:
I suspect what is meant is the shop would get the stove and do any cleanup and upgrades before installing it in your place. I'd just check and make sure it's not an E2 version.

Our P61 can go into low burn for days in our 1800 sq ft house with relatively no issues, it burns like that a lot in the shoulder seasons of spring and fall and very rarely in mid winter. I say relatively meaning essentially no issues, like the glass gets dirty a little fast is about it. But that's just in a mode that lets it run that low. Otherwise I set it up to come on and off. Then it goes into a pretty high burn rate and shuts down a couple hours later. I assume Quad must have a similar feature.

Thanks AH, we'll see what kind of specific model the Mt.Vernon is then research pros/cons from there I guess, sounds like the E2 version is not a highly regarded stove ? Been looking into the Harman Inserts as well, the ACCENTRA 52I looks like a nice unit and with the dual fans I would imagine would run a little quieter then the Quad ? My local dealer here said he can basically get any high quality manufacturer I am looking for.

Thanks AH, we'll see what kind of specific model the Mt.Vernon is then research pros/cons from there I guess, sounds like the E2 version is not a highly regarded stove ? Been looking into the Harman Inserts as well, the ACCENTRA 52I looks like a nice unit and with the dual fans I would imagine would run a little quieter then the Quad ? My local dealer here said he can basically get any high quality manufacturer I am looking for.
I've seen a couple of different 52i's in operation and the fan really pushed far out into the room. We nearly bought one but opted to not go with an insert in the end. We are in our 60's and only getting older. Me with some prolapse going on the doc suggests no squat and grunt exercises, LOL ! Got to pull the insert to clean and while they have the rail system, you don't pull a free standing stove at all. Just saying, that's us not you.

Last edited:
I've seen a couple of different 52i's in operation and the fan really pushed far out into the room. We nearly bought one but opted to not go with an insert in the end. We are in our 60's and only getting older. Me with some prolapse going on the doc suggests no squat and grunt exercises, LOL ! Got to pull the insert to clean and while they have the rail system, you don't pull a free standing stove at all. Just saying, that's us not you.

LOL, well fortunately I'm only in my early 40's and should have a few years left in me for the squatting and grunting ...LOL But good to know about the dual fans having some good air power out into the room, kind of have a weird floor plan in regards to getting heat to the mstr bdrm area around the LR opening and down the hall, so good air flow is something I'm looking for to help out if needed....

Reactions: alternativeheat
Just received a quote from a local shop for a complete package install of a QUADRAFIRE CLASSIC BAY 1200 BK with a surround, fresh air kit , log set , 25' flex liner kit for $ 3916.99 or deduct $500 and install myself, seems like a good price?? And from a local dealer that does all installs in house not using sub contractors.May be worth the $500 just to have it done by folks that are experienced? May ask him for a price with the same accessories but with a ACCENTRA 52i and see where he is at with that unit, kind of leaning toward the dual fans and rails for pulling it out among a few other differences. Any thoughts ??

Last edited:
Re updates to the Quad MVAE: Quad introduced that model in about 2007, but had many problems. Major updates in about 2008 or 2009 corrected those, and the MVAE has been a great stove ever since. They retrofitted many existing stoves. So just make sure it's had those updates if it's older. i think it was 4/09 when those updates were made, but Kap will likely know exactly.

If looking at a 52i, those pull out rails are sweet. For $500 I would have the dealer do all the work. GET AN OAK ON ANY STOVE!

Just received a quote from a local shop for a complete package install of a QUADRAFIRE CLASSIC BAY 1200 BK with a surround, fresh air kit , log set , 25' flex liner kit for $ 3916.99 or deduct $500 and install myself, seems like a good price?? And from a local dealer that does all installs in house not using sub contractors.May be worth the $500 just to have it done by folks that are experienced? May ask him for a price with the same accessories but with a ACCENTRA 52i and see where he is at with that unit, kind of leaning toward the dual fans and rails for pulling it out among a few other differences. Any thoughts ??
My response is about probably. The 52i will probably cost a bit more and it will probably be worth the difference you pay.. Not knocking the Classic Bay mind you but it is not a Harman 52i. That said the 1200 may well work out fine for you.

Re updates to the Quad MVAE: Quad introduced that model in about 2007, but had many problems. Major updates in about 2008 or 2009 corrected those, and the MVAE has been a great stove ever since. They retrofitted many existing stoves. So just make sure it's had those updates if it's older. i think it was 4/09 when those updates were made, but Kap will likely know exactly.

If looking at a 52i, those pull out rails are sweet. For $500 I would have the dealer do all the work. GET AN OAK ON ANY STOVE!

Thanks again Wilbur, I think all in all the quoted price was a fare one especially with the install for $500, now I just have to wait on the other quote with the 52i and decide from there, at least I have it narrowed down to 1 of these 2 stoves :)

My response is about probably. The 52i will probably cost a bit more and it will probably be worth the difference you pay.. Not knocking the Classic Bay mind you but it is not a Harman 52i. That said the 1200 may well work out fine for you.
Thanks AH, I've been reading a ton of threads on this forum and there seems to be a large following of folks with the Harman manufacturer, can only assume its not over inflated hype ? But I thing a couple of the features like the rails, dual fans and even as simple as the mirror glass feature when the heats off is a cool aesthetic feature. Guess I see soon enough on the price difference and go from there.

Reactions: alternativeheat
I am very happy with my Harman. As for an insert I have read and can see where the rail pull out system would be a wonderful feature for cleaning and such. I've been out of town for almost a month now and never worry about it. The wife just dumps pellets and a quick pot scrape. Stove has operated flawlessly. Time for a clean tomorrow. Going to 40* but today it's 0. It's been very cold and snowy here the last couple of weeks. House is warm and stove is purring like a kitten.

Thanks AH, I've been reading a ton of threads on this forum and there seems to be a large following of folks with the Harman manufacturer, can only assume its not over inflated hype ? But I thing a couple of the features like the rails, dual fans and even as simple as the mirror glass feature when the heats off is a cool aesthetic feature. Guess I see soon enough on the price difference and go from there.
I have a 52i if you have any questions feel free to pm me I will answer any. If you want to be happy get a harman.

Status
Not open for further replies.