Looking for some help fixing a Harman Invincible insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael320

Dec 4, 2010
Central CT
Hi, I a newbie to this form, and I have a question about my 12-year-old Harman Invincible insert. I believe that the distribution blower fan is going, the stove had been cleaned before I started it this fall. I heard a few squeaks now and again within the last week, last night I woke to a constant squeal. The flame was burning fine but the air coming out of it was weak. The more noise it made the less the air flow was coming from it as the noise decrease the air flow seem to increase, that’s how I’m coming to the conclusion that it’s the distribution blower fan. Now if I’m right can anyone tell me how I go about fixing it? How hard is it to change or what other things could be causing the noise.
Thanks for your help and time.

Welcome to the forum.

Typically, a "squealing" sound that comes from a blower motor is a bearing that is on the way out. Short of replacing the motor, the only things to try are lubing with some oil (20w non detergent like 3 in 1 in the blue can), or replacing the bearing.

BTW, go back and edit your post....put the make & Model name in the thread title line so forum members will see it easier....should lead to more views and maybe more help.

The invincible T dies not have bearings. IF you open up the area for the bearings you'll find an absorbent cotton which when soaked with oil provides the needed lubrication against the shaft. This is a difficult motor to service since the motor is located under the 512lb unit. That stove doesn't owe you anything being that it is nearly 20 years old. You'll need a new motor for this one. You can try adding some more oil first then bench test the motor for 1/2 hr and see if the problem is solved. You'll probably find a whole bunch of hair and lint in the cage too.

Status
Not open for further replies.