Looking for some input about installing enamel stove pipe..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sithspawn

May 5, 2011
Newfoundland, Canada
I'm looking at installing a Bordeaux Vermont Castings Encore 2 n 1 woodstove & matching enamel pipe. I'm weary about chipping the enamel pipe while installing.

In single or double wall stove pipe I usually put 3 stainless steel screws in each piece just make sure I get a good connection. I'm sure If I do this with the enamel pipe it's going to chip.

Anyone have some good success in doing this without chipping the enamel pipe or anything You can suggest that I do to prevent the pipe from chipping ???

Thanks for all Your answers in advance :)

tighten the self tapping screws by hand
the holes in the female end should be pre drilled at the factory, be sure to pre drill the holes in the male end. 9/64 bit for std black self tappers

Put a strip of masking tape over where the holes will go. Then put another one or two strips over that. You'll be able to make your marks with a regular pencil (on the tape) and the mastic will stop the enamel from shattering. Remove tape very carefully, like so: press a finger over the tape at the hole while removing tape gently from both sides, then from over the hole. I envy your enameled pipe; what color? Newfoundlanders pronounce it Newfoundland, correct?

Put a strip of masking tape over where the holes will go. Then put another one or two strips over that. You'll be able to make your marks with a regular pencil (on the tape) and the mastic will stop the enamel from shattering. Remove tape very carefully, like so: press a finger over the tape at the hole while removing tape gently from both sides, then from over the hole. I envy your enameled pipe; what color? Newfoundlanders pronounce it Newfoundland, correct?

Vermont Casting " Bordeaux " is the color :)

You have to pronounce it " Newfoundland" as one word & as quick as possible.... not New...Found....Land :p

Status
Not open for further replies.