Looking for stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

krista72

Oct 29, 2008
Lincoln, IL
Hello again,

Well we are looking for a stove to replace the old one we have. Since I really do not know much about them I am needing some help. There are a few factors I am looking for with a new stove.
Must heat whole house. House is 2,200 sq ft two story
Must have the old look to it. I do not want nothing that looks modern.

If anyone can give me ideas or names of manufactors of the stoves. What BTU should I be looking for, etc.

Any help would be great.

Thank you
KRista

There are several stoves that fit this criteria, but it would help to know a bit more about the house and how the stove will be used.
For the house it would be good to know how well insulated it is and how open the downstairs floorplan is. Where the stove will be located would also help.

As for the stove, do you burn 24/7 or nights and weekends? Do you know what the old stove make/model is? How well did it work for you?

For stoves, I would be looking at 2.5 to 3 cu ft stoves. Some possibles are the Quadrafire Isle Royale, Jotul F600, Pacific Energy Alderlea T6. Or in soapstone a Hearthstone Mansfield or perhaps a Woodstock Fireview.

<>Must heat whole house. House is 2,200 sq ft two story<>

There are a number of factors that have to be considered here...

Did your old stove heat your home adequately?
If it did, then the BTUs required would be about the same...

How old is your home & how well is it insulated?
If it's poorly insulated, add more...It's cheaper than buying a larger stove...
If it's poorly insulated, appx 50 BTU/sqft are required for heating
If it's well insulated, appx 30 BTU/sqft
If it's somewhere in between, 40 BTU/sqft

<>Must have the old look to it. I do not want nothing that looks modern.<>

Jotul has a lot of stoves with that look...

http://www.jotul.com/en-us/wwwjotulus/

HTH

krista72 said:
"...
Must heat whole house. House is 2,200 sq ft two story
Must have the old look to it. I do not want nothing that looks modern.
If anyone can give me ideas or names of manufactors of the stoves. What BTU should I be looking for, etc.

KRista,

What is the depth of the insulation in your bottom floor, the walls, & attic?.

When an outside door is closed in the winter is the change in house pressure noted by those within?

Here is a link to stoves & their heating ability.

Keep in mind that the figures are subject to how well insulated the house is.

http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/wscompha.htm

Good luck with it.

As you can see Krista, there is much to be considered when purchasing a new stove. However, even when you consider all, things could still be different. For example, the stove we now have is much smaller than our old stove. Yes, I was concerned that it might not work for us but we did buy it (after all, Woodstock has that 6 month guarantee!). As it ended, we have a smaller stove, but we use almost 50% less wood and it heats our home even better than the old stove! So all is not as it seems on the surface at times.

Also, you don't want something that looks modern. That is a very vague description; can you be more specific?

Status
Not open for further replies.