Looking for suggestions for new saw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

seige101

Minister of Fire
Mar 25, 2008
Western MA
Hey everyone. After beating my craftsman chainsaw for over 7 weeks cutting tornado damaged trees it finally gave up for good.

Looking for suggestions for a new saw. I am a weekend warrior and only use it occasionally. Old saw was 18" and 43 cc's

Based on my use should i go for a husky or stihl? Or do i stick with the homeowner special from the 'box' stores?

Will probably still be doing tornado related cutting until there is snow on the ground.

Thanks
Tim

There's two ways to look at this

1) Go get another $100 Poulan from WalMart. They seem to withstand years of abuse and if it gets stolen or breaks you're only out $100 (or whatever they charge for them)

2) Get a "real" saw (MS260/270/280/290/291/310/362 or the Husqvarna equivalent) from an actual dealer. For what you're doing you'd be out $350-$650 depending on how deep your pockets felt that day. You will never wear one of these saws out. It seems like a lot of money, but how much did you pay for the computer (that you will have replaced at least once in the next couple years) you posted this question with? $500? $1000?

If you want to go from being a guy with a chainsaw to "the hero of the neighborhood" buy the ms 362. If you want a saw to cut wood with occasionally, I cut all of my wood with an ms 180, 14" bar......Hasn't failed me yet (sometimes have to cut from both sides though).

To get user evals, you might check on Amazon. There are others than Craftsman, Husqvarna and Stihl. You might like Redmax, Echo, Tanaka, Dolmar for example.
If you'll need service nearby, search out the better dealers nearby, and ask their recommendation. With luck, one'll find you a good deal, even with the high demand this summer down in Monson.
Snoop around on Arboristsite. No shortage of opinions & partisans.
Happy clearing, and I hope you have chaps for all that work.

MS 290 or a Husqvarna 455. The Husky is $400 brand new (Stihl is about the same). They are great saws (Both the Husq and Stihl/ No wizzing match here). Plenty of Power for the weekend warrior. For the last 3 months, my Rancher is the ONLY saw I have used. Light enough to use for all chores (limbing and bucking). But still big enough to fell a descent tree.

DexterDay said:
MS 290 or a Husqvarna 455. The Husky is $400 brand new (Stihl is about the same). They are great saws (Both the Husq and Stihl/ No wizzing match here). Plenty of Power for the weekend warrior. For the last 3 months, my Rancher is the ONLY saw I have used. Light enough to use for all chores (limbing and bucking). But still big enough to fell a descent tree.

+1

Assuming you are not over-extending your personal finances...

I for one have never regretted buying a quality tool over a cheap one. It makes the job go faster, easier on the body, and a much more enjoyable experience. If you keep it for a long time it will generally be cheaper than repairing/replacing a cheaper alternative too.

Tim, don't just evaluate the saws, evaluate the dealers. How far away are they and are they good?

Anything like a 455 Rancher is going to be a box store saw and if you need service you're either going to pay a local small engine guy to fix it or get the warranty repair by sending it away for a month.

Check and see what dealers you have in your area and find out if they actually repair saws in premise. Buy from them. I got a great deal on a HUsqvarna 359 at a local dealer...its an unbelievable world of difference from my old Craftsman 42cc 18" saw...worth the extra money.

A 455 is a good firewood saw though, nothing wrong with them, despite what you may hear from professional loggers. By all accounts, they're tough, reliable and reasonably powerful without breaking the bank.

Check the dealers though before you get a 455. You mgiht be able to get a closeout 359 or a 346XP for about the same as a box store 455 and both would do great duty as firewood saws.

I for one have never regretted buying a quality tool over a cheap one.

Agreed 100%!

I killed my old Poulan(It became know as the "pull on" before discarded in scrap bin) cutting storm damage a few years ago.
I picked up the old stihl farmboss off ebay for ~140 including shipping.
Has never given me a bit of trouble.
I have a good stihl dealership 8mi from the house closest husky dealership over 60mi.
Either way you'll be paying for service or parts on a new saw once warranty expires.
May be the used route could get a bigger saw for less money.
Be aware of the pawn shops selling stuff of the bay, no one knows "how gently" it was used.
Cosmetically could look good but if there are no pics of exhuast port showing no scoring or compression numbers buyer be ware.

seige101 said:
Hey everyone. After beating my craftsman chainsaw for over 7 weeks cutting tornado damaged trees it finally gave up for good.

Looking for suggestions for a new saw. I am a weekend warrior and only use it occasionally. Old saw was 18" and 43 cc's

Based on my use should i go for a husky or stihl? . . .

Yes

Go to the local saw store and buy a 50cc+ saw. Used or new. Personally I went Dolmar 5100, but the Husky 346, 353, or 359 would also be great saws.
ATB,
Mike

Look for a slightly used ms290 18"bar on craigslist. Pay approx $200. Its a little heavy but can do most of what us occasional users need it for. Or call around to your home depots and buy one of their blue saws they sell occasionally. I forget the name. Somebody will jump on this name I am forgetting, soon enough.

Check local repair shops, most have used saws that no one has come to pickup or the person couldn't afford to pay for the parts/labor just sitting around, you can sometimes pickup a "pro" saw for a good deal.

Don't be scared of used, if the repair shop has a good reputation for fixing saws right you can be sure that saw will run for many years, at the pro level both stihl and husky are great saws.

I like both Stihl and Husky's, I have heard the lower Husky's are getting cheaply made (alot of plastic parts in the carbs), so I might avoid the low end now. I have heard good things about Echo if you want a less expensive brand. I also would not be afraid of a used one. I have a Husqvarna 50 that is about 20 years old that still kicks ass. I used it yesterday and it cuts like new.

I bought a factory refurbished Echo about 8 years ago and have been very happy with it. And it gets used ALOT. Never had to do anything to it except sharpen the chain. A few months back had the urge to get a 2nd saw and got a refurb'd Ryobi 18". Got a great deal on it (for a cheap saw). So far cut about 4 cords with it and it has run great, no complaints.

Status
Not open for further replies.