Looking for suggestions, not happy with my local shop

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moosemick

Jan 8, 2008
Ma
Been reading this forum for a while. Even though it's late in the season, I am now ready to add a wood burning stove into my fireplace. The fireplace is new with a 30" wide x 36" tall opening. It is 20" deep and the hearth sticks out into the room also.

I would like to find a woodstove to put into my fireplace. I already have a SS liner and a blockoff plate installed.

My local shop has been less than helpful. I don't want a high end stove with a lot of decorations. Just something to help add some heat to the house. The house is 1900SF with 2x6 walls.

I am thinking a stove which is around 24" in all directions, L x W x H. I would really like to keep the height to around 24" but the other dimensions are more flexible.

Can anybody suggest a stove to me around these dimensions. Something which isn't too expensive. I don't know which other features I would prefer. I am thinking I would like a blower but I am not sure on the catylitic vs non.

Thanks for any help

I just installed a Lopi Revere in my Heatilator fireplace, that might work for you. It has a good size firebox. And throws out alot of heat. Maybe a dealer is close to you! Good luck, Im sure some more pros will help you out.

You installed a liner and block off without having a stove?

There are a lot of stoves available which will fit your needs. I assume you only have one local dealer? Sometimes you can find a few in the area and others may have a wider range of stoves. Some places just specialize in the higher end.

If your fireplace is 36" tall, then why do you want to limit the height to 24"?

The lowest priced stoves available are probably the Englander and Century which are sold by home centers (lowes, etc.) - you can also get the Vermont Castings Dutchwest Cat models (at any Vermont Castings dealer) which are reasonable in price for a cat stove with all their features. Used stove can be a good value if you keep an eye out on Craigslist, etc.

There are lots of things to take into consideration when looking - my suggestion is to browse the article at:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/choosing_a_wood_stove

for the basics and then let your finger do the walking (online or yellow pages) for some additional outlets in your area.

Yes, I installed a liner and plate first. Have to do that before you can run a stove so why not get it done ahead of time.

As for the sizes, My Width is 36" and my height is 30". I was thinking of a 24" height so I can get my hands in to hook everything up during install. If the stove was close to the opening height I don't think I could get in there to hook up the exhaust. The Englander and Century models at Lowes are real nice and exactly what I want. Just a couple of inches smaller. I think I am going to ask around some more. I live in southeastern ma. Can anybody suggest a shop besides the one in Middleboro?

Have you considered a rear-exit stove set in front of the fireplace? That would open up more choices if you have the room.

Moosemick, I'm with BeGreen here too.
Do you have room for a free-standing unit? Can you post some pics?

I didnt have a good experience at that shop either, seemed like I needed to have a fist full of $100's to get his attention.
Nobody in the shop and he acted like I was bothering him, too bad I live 2 minutes away.

I ended up driving to New Hampshire to buy ours and saved $300.

Babalu, I'm from Middleboro also, other side of town from you though. I ended up at Sippican Stove in Wareham today. What a great place. Low key, friendly and didn't try to sell me everything. No cover charge just to walk in the door.

They have a used Vermont Castings in there back room that I think I am going to buy. Has the rear exit option.

Thanks for all of the help so far guys. This is a great board to read.

Good luck, I have heard nothing but good things regarding Sippican Stove

I don't really know of any good stores in the area. I have been really dissappointed. After going to 5 or 6 in my area I decided to drive to outside of New Bedford to a store which seemed descent. Now I just got a call yesterday (after waiting a month and a half) to be told that the install that was going to happen on Friday may not happen until early February because they are having difficulty getting the stove.

My parents have had luck at a store in Barrington, RI. Good Luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.