Looking for Tips for a very Noisy Winch on an Escalara Stair Cat?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH

Attachments

• Escalara (1).JPG
    Escalara (1).JPG
    164.9 KB · Views: 201
  • Escalara (2).JPG
    Escalara (2).JPG
    188.2 KB · Views: 200
  • Escalara (3).JPG
    Escalara (3).JPG
    167.4 KB · Views: 252
  • Escalara (4).JPG
    Escalara (4).JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:
With you surely it will be Moly. ;lol

Sounds just like every small winch I have ever owned.

Sounds like inexpensive spur cut gears meshing. Probably any grease would work, but I expect they'll always be noisy.

Sounds like inexpensive spur cut gears meshing. Probably any grease would work, but I expect they'll always be noisy.

Where should the grease be applied?

Last edited:
One glob in each ear should do it. :rolleyes:

Reactions: BrotherBart
One glob in each ear should do it. :rolleyes:

True!

But I would put it in the gear case, which would probably entail opening it up. Is there, by any chance, an oil port or grease fitting?

If it's new, I would expect there's grease/oil in there, and it's just the way it is - noisy. You get what you pay for...

True!

But I would put it in the gear case, which would probably entail opening it up. Is there, by any chance, an oil port or grease fitting?

If it's new, I would expect there's grease/oil in there, and it's just the way it is - noisy. You get what you pay for...

It is about 7 years old. I could not afford a new one for $3k plus.It does work and The winch motor can be replaced easily.
Also thiinking about rehabbing a bit with some paint. It is great for loading pickup trucks, it certainly does do the job! It is very strong. I do not see any grease fittings.

Well, for $3K, it's not a cheap piece of junk! I would see if the gearcase can be opened up, and if so, put, or add, some heavy duty gear grease in there.
How much weight is it rated for?

Well, for $3K, it's not a cheap piece of junk! I would see if the gearcase can be opened up, and if so, put, or add, some heavy duty gear grease in there.
How much weight is it rated for?
Thanks, it states it is rated for 1400lb on the winch motor tag in pic in my first post.

You should be able to pull it apart, clean out any dry dead grease and re-do it.

I bought a 7 or 8 yr old Warn M-8000 off CL a while back. It had a new motor on it but was rather noisy and hard to free spool cable out by hand. The grease in the planatery gear case was more like tar. Soaked everything in keroseene, dried, applied new grease. I just used a good quality (Castrol) synthetic wheel bearing grease. The winch is much quieter and free spools easily now.

You should be able to pull it apart, clean out any dry dead grease and re-do it.

I bought a 7 or 8 yr old Warn M-8000 off CL a while back. It had a new motor on it but was rather noisy and hard to free spool cable out by hand. The grease in the planatery gear case was more like tar. Soaked everything in keroseene, dried, applied new grease. I just used a good quality (Castrol) synthetic wheel bearing grease. The winch is much quieter and free spools easily now.

Great info, yes when the winch gets close to the ground (Little wire left on winch) the winch wire gets sticky. Is that what you mean by not doing Free Spool?

Truck & ATV winches, etc. typically have a motor, connected to a long shaft, with a brake assembly on it. The shaft then connects to the gear set and cable drum. The clutch disconnects the cable drum from the gears and/or motor & brake assembly, allowing you to freely pull cable off the drum (free spooling) instead of running the motor in the "cable out" direction.

http://www.depcopump.com/datasheets/rule/Rule_catalog.pdf Looking at page 45 and your video, it appears that winch does not have a clutch knob. The gears would be inside the fat ring on the left, between the motor and cable drum. If you can get it apart, some new grease might quiet it down.

Be careful with that cable. You should have a neat & tight wrap around the drum. That "birds nest" you have going on there is not good. It will cause the cable to kink & wear fast. The cable will abrade itself as it gets pulled tight in those loose wraps.

Thanks for the info

Status
Not open for further replies.