looking for wood fireplace insert that uses 4-5 inch liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't seen one in years. There are a couple of Jotul free standing stoves that meet this criteria, but
I don't think you'll find an insert. Is your chimney restricting the liner size?

There are none out there to my knowledge. Some can run on a 5.5" liner but that is as small as I know. Why do you need it to have that small of a liner? My cawley lemay stove has a 5" outlet and there are a few modern stoves that do as well but not many

I measure the opening of my damper and even with cutting out the damper's door, the width is barely 5 inch.

Thanks.
You need to cut more is all. At wosrt you could ovalize the liner through the damper but I hate to see that. We cut out almost all of the dampers frames we install inserts in. Sometimes you even need to remove a few brick.

Yep, the frame definitely has to be cut out and perhaps some bricks too. Well, I was hoping to do the job myself. But the more I look into it (there's a brick arch at the top of the chimney, making it harder to drop the liner down) the more the job says leave it to the pro!

Thanks for all of your help through various threads!

Can you take a shot of the damper area and post it?

Here we are, thanks again.
damper.jpg
chimney.jpg

Wow that's tight, that arch reminds me of a funny story, about 10 yrs ago I was on a chimney fire call and we set up on the roof, there was so much smoke pouring out of this chimney we couldn't see the arch and had a hell of a time trying to get the chains we use down the flue, by the time we were done and the smoke cleared it became apparent that there was a huge arch in the way, but worst of all the arch was already cracked (according to the homeowner) and you just needed to lift it off by pulling strait up.
Not my or my partners finest hour, but we still chuckle about it.

Here we are, thanks again.
yeah that will take some cutting but not to big of a deal. I would just do away with the arch if it was me. You will also need some serious cleaning before doing anything that is a mess

Yes, it's a mess and a sweep is added as part of install cost. Incidentally, once the insert is installed, is there any part of the insert need remove and reinstall for the annual chimney sweep? Thanks.

Yes, it's a mess and a sweep is added as part of install cost. Incidentally, once the insert is installed, is there any part of the insert need remove and reinstall for the annual chimney sweep? Thanks.
Generally there are some internal parts that you remove to get aces to clean. But that varies from stove to stove.

Thankfully my damper was already removed by whom I have no idea, I just gotta cut out the frame and move some brick for my 8" liner to go through, by the way this is a lot cleaner than mines lol

by the way this is a lot cleaner than mines lol
Make sure you clean it very well including the smoke chamber and smoke shelf. This in my opinion is the most important part of a liner install. Having a fire between the new and old liners can be very bad.

Make sure you clean it very well including the smoke chamber and smoke shelf. This in my opinion is the most important part of a liner install. Having a fire between the new and old liners can be very bad.
I got the top pretty good from the roof with a chimney brush,(the clay liners) all I have now is the bottom section when i finally get off my ass and pull the ancient insert out. The creosote comes out really easy with the shop vac with brush extension

I got the top pretty good from the roof with a chimney brush
It needs to be better than pretty good. The smoke chamber and shelf are the hardest parts

It needs to be better than pretty good. The smoke chamber and shelf are the hardest parts
what method do you use for the smoke chamber and shelf, the clay liners are good no creosote its just the smoke chamber that has some build up, they don't stick though so i don't think it should be that difficult. Dam sorry op didn't mean to jack your thread

I use a rotary cleaner to start and if that doesn't do it I switch to chemicals. But rotary is usually enough

Status
Not open for further replies.