Looking for Wood Insert with outside air

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

419agallon

May 22, 2008
Long Island, NY
Hello Hearth Room,

Newbie here.

Researching a wood insert for my 1300 sq ranch.
Would like the option to use outside air. Wondering which Manufacturer/Models are set up for outside air???

Regards,
419agallon

I'm no expert, but my Quadrafire has an outside air intake available. I toyed with the idea of hooking it through the former ash dump of my traditional masonry fireplace. Not necessary, though.
Owner manuals are usually available online from the manufacturer, and they show this sort of thing. A great research tool before you buy.

I am about to install a Jotul C450 in a week.

The fireplace is already prepped, damper cut, block-off plate fabricated, outside air system mortared into the f/place, with a nice sheet metal elbow slid over the outside end to prevent from rain and uninvited guests.
The chimney liner goes on on Memorials day, then the Jotul goes in whenever I feel like it.

Look up the user manual online, it shows the air intake location, and Jotul sells a piece of junk 3" diameter adapter thingy to be slid over the intake opening, and attached to the outside air ducting. That's what I decided to use, after an extensive research of fireplace inserts.

Otherwise, here's a list of outside air-approved inserts, rated for 1600 - 2000 square feet to heat:
Quadrafire Bodega Bay
Quadrafire 4100i
Pacific Energy Pacific
Napoleon 1402 (not only "approved" but also appropriately kitted)

There are certainly others, below and above my square footage needs, which could be used with outside combustion air, I just never bothered to look them up.
Go ask TheChimneySweep (a poster on these forums, his website is www.chimneysweeponline.com), he knows a thing or two about outside air and inserts...

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.