Looking for wood stove for alcove ZC replacment

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quint

Oct 3, 2011
Bremerton, WA
OK so I know asking which stove is kind of opening up a bag of worms per say but I am looking for suggestions and opinions. I am removing my ZC old style wood burning fireplace and am going to build a alcove in its spot. I want to get the stove or atleast decide on the stove I am getting before I start to ensure I do the chimney piping and clearances correctly.

The space the current stove is in now gives me 52" across the front, 29" deep, and the ceiling is 92" I believe so can go up to close to that.

I am probably buying local and still going to talk to more local shops and check more things out but want as much info and possible plans of attach as possible before I commit. The local area Ive scene so far Blazeking, the small Lennox's, Home depot has Englander and US stove, and another place has the Napoleons. I am looking at the smaller models as I will be heating roughly about 1000sqft (just the upstairs portion).

The englander and us stove I think I can get a 10% discount on so that would be nice. The Lennox seems like a nice stove and seems to me about similar maybe a little better then the Napoleons. I have heard good about the blaze king and englander but have not heard anything about the us stoves so some input on those would be nice.

Thoughts and suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Pacific Energy super 27 or Regency stoves have very close clearance to combustible #'s.

I have not scene the PE stoves up here but a couple places had the regency ones. Ill take a second look at those also. Thanks.

Well I am pretty confident that I will be getting the striker s160 next week. It ended up being a tossup between that and a napolean 1100 series but after looking at both upclose and reviewing the specs and what not decided the striker was a better deal for the same price, just IMHO that is. I guess Ill find out if it is a good stove for my application when I get done, it will easily fit the space and setup I have. Will take pics.

Are you looking to just burn evenings and weekend? Those seem too small to get a good overnight burn in. If u want 24/7 I'd look at 2.0cf and above. Have you done any searches on alcove installs? Forum member Geardoc did an amazing alcove install that is the inspiration for my alcove. Geardocs alcove

Yeah saw that one. Loooks great.

Well so far with the dimensions I have not sure if there are too many stoves that will fit in the area that I have combined with being in a decent price range (for me right now is keeping the whole thing at or below $2500 total which is easily acheived with the last two stoves I have mentioned. Still open for ideas though. Been trying to research as many stoves as I could but going off mainly there manuals and such.

By the way do you have any pictures of your alcove setup.

I would contact Tom at www.chimneysweeponline.com for a PE Super 27, Spectrum or if you want fancier, an Alderlea T5. Am I biased? Yes? There are few people that are going to service you better in this area.

PS: The Lennox Country stoves are made in Auburn, WA. They are good heaters. Lopi/Avalon stoves are made in Mulkilteo. The BlazeKing is made in Walla Walla. (And Quadrafire comes out of Coleville.) This is a stove building region for sure.

Thanks for the ideas, Ill check those out as well BeGreen. I would like to have a few more options in the area where I can actually go check out the stove.

Went to H.D. to check out the ones there. Dont apparently carry any in the store but said they would let me get on the internet to check them out. I was like I would just do that at home. Annoying

The Chimney Sweep is in Bellingham. Their guarantee is simple. If you are not satisfied with the stove, return it. These are good folks.

Regardless of stove choice, look at ~2cu ft stoves with good side and rear shielding for your alcove installation. I would not go to the big box stores for this. You have several dealers in your area. Visit the local stove shops and see what you think.

Well looks like the super 27 is a really nice stove but the clearance that it calls for in its manual or 16" on each side plus the stove is 24" across and I am working with a 52" stud to stud width on the alcove. Plus the min height is 7'6" which would put it pretty close to the sealing and I kind of wanted a little bit of a drop down from the ceiling. Unless I am looking at something wrong in the instruction manual. It is a good price though.

I am also changing if I do go with the country I would move up to the ST210 or its brother, I think the clearances will be close but doable and its the larger box 2ft I think.

Thanks for the input guys.

The Super 27 needs a ceiling clearance of 84" (7'). Yes, the side dimensions will be close, but note the section in the PE manual:
"Clearances may be reduced with various heat insulating materials. Consult local firecodes and authorities for approval."

If you find a stove you really like and the clearances are close, you can reduce them as long as the mfg allows clearance reduction per NFPA211. That will mean using cement board instead of drywall and perhaps introducing an air space, though brick will get you a 33% reduction without the airspace. Remember the clearance is to the nearest combustible, not the final wall if it is non-combustible.

Here's a link to the NFPA clearance table:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/NFPA_Wall_Clearance_Reductions/

PS: Country makes good stoves too.

Quint Pm sent.

Status
Not open for further replies.