Looking for wood, suggestions?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bears12th

Feb 28, 2008
Eastern Connecticut
So, here I sit three months after putting in my little Jotul Winterport a completely satisfied guy. Good grief the house gets hot with very little wood or effort. I got my first two cords of wood off craiglist last year and I need to start stacking up wood for the next few years as you all have pointed out for us newbies (looking for about six cords). Any suggestions for a guy in Eastern Connecticut where to start a search for some good hardwood?

Thanks to you all for the help. I never would have installed my own stove if not for this site, nor would I understand anything involving the burning of wood. It is been so successful I have no problems with the better half on the search for "piles and piles" of wood, she loves the heat and loves the idea that she is going to be going shopping with the extra cash saved from the lack of oil burned (little does she know we are spending that money on more wood or accessories for the chopping of this beautiful wood).

Thanks everyone, and hope you all have a great summer.

Ohhhh.....go lakers

Try local golf courses. I have worked at courses where they just pile it up and burn it in the winter. Mostly pine, but probably free.

You can give the local tree removal services a call.

Oftentimes the tortoise wins the race. A little tree here and a little wood there and before you know it, little by little, you have accumulated a few cords.

Just last week I saw someone outside the house that has this small hickory tree almost all the way down (roots and all). So I stopped and chatted them up seeing if they were going to cut the tree up or if they would 'allow' me to do it and take the wood. Now not a major score by any means but just a bit more hickory added to the pile.

Call your local town DPW and the utility companies. You may or may not have good luck and be able to get in on some free wood that way. Around here they usually send out two crews...one cuts and leaves it on the ground, the next crew goes out a week or so later and either hauls away or shreds whatever's there on the ground. I'm working on establishing a relationship with my local town to see if I cna have permission to go in between the two crews and harvest what I want. So long as I keep it neat and there are no insurance issues they should be cool with it.

bears12th said:
So, here I sit three months after putting in my little Jotul Winterport a completely satisfied guy. Good grief the house gets hot with very little wood or effort. I got my first two cords of wood off craiglist last year and I need to start stacking up wood for the next few years as you all have pointed out for us newbies (looking for about six cords). Any suggestions for a guy in Eastern Connecticut where to start a search for some good hardwood?

Thanks to you all for the help. I never would have installed my own stove if not for this site, nor would I understand anything involving the burning of wood. It is been so successful I have no problems with the better half on the search for "piles and piles" of wood, she loves the heat and loves the idea that she is going to be going shopping with the extra cash saved from the lack of oil burned (little does she know we are spending that money on more wood or accessories for the chopping of this beautiful wood).

Thanks everyone, and hope you all have a great summer.

Ohhhh.....go lakers

Are you looking for wood already split or rounds or both?. Most people will cut it in rounds and have you haul it away. Some people will give you their already split pile. And you have those who have a fallen tree and don't want to pay for a tree service company. My advice if you don't have them already, get yourself a decent chainsaw and a wood splitter. It will be situations where you can split on the spot and sell the rest or some into a huge amount of wood.

Your off to a good start by using Craigs List, but I only choose ads that have a picture of the wood...

Status
Not open for further replies.