Looking forward to Friday

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dobish

Minister of Fire
Oct 26, 2015
Golden CO
I have decided that I need to take a day off to work on the wood piles. The weather is supposed to be a little cooler, the chainsaw is all sharpened and ready to be gassed up, and the wood is mostly ready to be bucked. I am hoping to spend a good 5-6 hours with the saw, and a few hours with the splitter.

The goal is to have everything cleared up before I take down the next batch of trees!

Other than priming the well that's looking like my weekend. Hopefully the wife can operate the splitter while I buck and hand chop the difficult stuff (only have an electric splitter so I leave the easy rounds for that)
All in all though I'm looking forward to it.

I have decided that I need to take a day off to work on the wood piles. The weather is supposed to be a little cooler, the chainsaw is all sharpened and ready to be gassed up, and the wood is mostly ready to be bucked. I am hoping to spend a good 5-6 hours with the saw, and a few hours with the splitter.
Gotta take advantage of nice weather when you live in Colden, CO. ;)

Same here!!! , Cleaning the chimney tonight, moving stacks from the yard to the driveway, temps are suppose to dip down into the low to mid 40's Sunday night, while I might not burn at night yet, the season is only a few short weeks away

I'm getting ready to sharpen chain and finish bucking a Sugar Maple blow-down that I found. It's gonna hit 88* today but at least the humidity will be down in the low 40% range this aft. At least there's a little breeze out there today, unlike the past few days. Only breeze I was getting was on the quad. <>

Last edited:
its supposed to be 80 on friday, and we are going to a wedding that evening, so i may have to get an early start.... we shall see how much I get done!

Reactions: Woody Stover
Get plenty of pics... ==c

I need to take a day off to work on the wood piles. The weather is supposed to be a little cooler...... I am hoping to spend a good 5-6 hours with the saw, and a few hours with the splitter.

Sounds like a quiet and serene day off! I want to take 1/2 day off Friday to pick up some free maple nearby and spend rest of the time start splitting them.

Last edited:
Same here!!! , Cleaning the chimney tonight, moving stacks from the yard to the driveway, temps are suppose to dip down into the low to mid 40's Sunday night, while I might not burn at night yet, the season is only a few short weeks away

Saturday night we're supposed to dip down to 46 in SEPA and I'm itching to light the stove. Won't really have an excuse to for a few more weeks as well.

it got down to 44 the other day here, but it was 90 during the day, so i couldn't justify it.... i also just picked up another load of wood from a friend that got added to the pile.... maybe i will take monday off too :)

So this just happened..... 20160922_170311.jpg

There are three more where this came from

Nice, you're on a roll.

I have decided that I need to take a day off to work on the wood piles.

I think you inspired me. Took the night off work and drove out to the farm to get some splitting in. I work Sunday to Thursday so it's my Friday today. Is it weird that I'd actually be excited to come out and swing the axe? I can practically feel my beard growing and my shirt flannellizing already.

Hopefully I can get some in tomorrow too but a big weather system just moved in so we'll see how tomorrow goes.

Reactions: excessads
I just got another email about 2-3 truck fulls of Russian olive... Maybe I will do a load before I start cutting.... The neighbors might like that better.

Reactions: excessads
Can anyone confirm this is Russian olive? My guess it is still worth a few minute drive to get stuff cut to length...

I got tired of waiting for the weather to change so I've been splitting a few rounds each evening. I have plenty of mosquito bites to show for it but, other than that and the humidity, it felt good. By Sunday we should have what I consider to be the first good splitting weather. Unfortunately my weekend is spoken for, so I'll have to wait a little longer to give the axe a real workout...

You guys just gave me a reality check, the new stove haven't been installed yet, I'm still working on tiling the fireplace but I might just do the hearth and push this thing in and get it installed then finish the tile. I'm off Sunday Monday so I should have the tile thing done with sheesh

I ended up having a lot less time than I thought. Chainsaw didn't start, so I split a little bit. Locust in one pile, Russian olive in the other. 20160923_104003.jpg

Probably spent a good 10 hours splitting this weekend so I was able to start to catch up on everything. Gonna need the chainsaw though for next time.
Also got to break in and have my first burn with the new wood stove so overall a pretty successful weekend (didn't prime the well pump though but who needs water when you have wood amirite?)

Status
Not open for further replies.