Looking into a pellet stove need advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

riffrocker

Oct 13, 2011
southern,nb
Hey everyone!

been checkin out the forums here, and this is by far the most informative site Ive found. Now, I have been looking into a pellet stove, i live in southern NB and dont want to spend more then 4000 when its all said and done....my problem is that i want my stove in the basement, which is insulated but unfinished at the moment (soon to be completed). My house is a two story with a walk out...

Problem is Im not sure how to set up my venting, I was looking at the kits at home depot http://www.homedepot.ca/product/3-in-pellet-pipe-kit/945807

But i worry that it would blow back onto my house and damage the siding,......I would go completely vertical but it is just not sensible to go up 3 storeys,,,,,,, looking for advice on how to set it up.....and a good solid stove. Any advice appreciated, Ive included pics....i want the stove to go in the corner in between the window and vent were I have the x....
....I would like to put it in the corner (if you can see past my junk haha) thanks in advance!....

Attachments

• IMAG0177.jpg
    IMAG0177.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 242
  • IMAG0176.jpg
    IMAG0176.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 276
  • IMAG0178.jpg
    IMAG0178.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 256
Just curious....are you planning on just using it to heat the basement?

Mainly yes.........ductless heat pumps are going on the main floor and top floor, but if i can cut a few vents to get some heat on the second floor i will.

OK.

As far as the venting you gave the link for, if it's installed as per manufacture's instructions, it should be fine....there are MANY forum members who have used that type w/ no problems.

BTW, is that side of the house facing the prevailing wind? Any plans to add the OAK?

riffrocker said:
.....and yes i would like to add an OAK, would that be an issue so close to the ground?

No, not an issue at all. Distance to the ground isn't a problem for the OAK....just keep it high enough so snow drifts and/or leaf piles don't block it off.

If you are venting where there are windows make certain you follow the clearances provided by the stove manufacturer otherwise it won't be stains on the siding that will be an issue just smoke (very bad for you) and CO (very very bad for you) coming in around or through the windows.

Blow back or soot on your house should not be a problem.. Follow Manuf instructions and kkep it clean. Wont have no soot... 3 yrs and I got nothing..

This will be my 12th season. I haven't cleaned the siding yet due to stove/soot.

Before you cut vents into the floor. Check local code requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.