Looking on info..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tnlynn

Mar 23, 2008
tennessee
We bought a fireplace insert.. I have no idea how old it is, it was in a friends house when they bought it. it has Ashley written on the front, it has 2 doors and raised decoration on the top of the doors. It also has an electric blower. I have spent a week looking for info on this type and can't find one anywhere... All I can find is ones with glass doors.. this has solid black doors, 2 handles, and 2 adjustable round vents on the front.... I can't find a model number anywhere on it... I have searched thru tons of pictures but none have the solid 2 doors.

We want to insert it in our fireplace, but I wanted to find out some info on it. Has anyone seen one like this? or have one? I would love to have a model number or a copy of a brochure or info on it.

Thanks soooo much!!

Lynn

My guess is it's an older non-EPA insert. Better find out if you are allowed to install it before going through too much trouble, getting it ready for install.
Some pics of the exterior and inside the firebox will help. Take a pic of the "ceiling" of the inside area of the stove.
This will help us tell what it is.

Ashley was a brand name with a long history - was with King stoves for awhile and both brands were purchased by Martin Industries. Martin then went bankrupt and US Stove ended up with some of the designs. Your best chance at identification is to take a pic and forward to
http://www.stovepartsunlimited.com/

They sell some Ashley parts and may be able to ID.

OH, I think it is in this ad......does that look like it on the lower right.

This is approx 1980.

You should bring the ad to your local building official and see if there is a label on the unit - UL approved. I am fairly certain that it was approved, but you might have to prove it. If it is OK for installation, you have to follow NFPA guidelines in order to do so safely. Your official or a professional chimney sweep or installer should be up on these.

Attachments

• ashley1.jpg
    ashley1.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 327
  • ashley2.jpg
    ashley2.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 335
It does look like the one on the right. There is a rectangle opening in the back to vent to the chimney. The house we took it out of had no additional pipes or anything, we simply pulled it forward and it came right out. We were thinking it would be as easy as putting it right into our fireplace... so we will have to have someone professional install it? will it need more stovepipe on it to go up the chimney?

I will try to download a picture with my tempermental camera later today. Where do I get the NFPA guidelines? (Can you tell I know nothing about these! lol I am used to things you open the box, plug in and use!...) But with a big family, I do want to make sure it is safe, you guys are so helpful, I really appreciate it!

Lynn

tnlynn said:
We were thinking it would be as easy as putting it right into our fireplace... so we will have to have someone professional install it? will it need more stovepipe on it to go up the chimney?

I will try to download a picture with my tempermental camera later today. Where do I get the NFPA guidelines? (Can you tell I know nothing about these! lol I am used to things you open the box, plug in and use!...) But with a big family, I do want to make sure it is safe, you guys are so helpful, I really appreciate it!

Lynn

If you are used to things you can take right out of the box, plug in and use, I would advise you to have the thing installed by a pro.
I also advise you to have a full stainless liner installed from the insert's flue collar to top of the chimney, topped off with a cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.