Looking to build a shed this spring

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Autorotate

Apr 16, 2014
Phila
I am by no means a carpenter, but can usually follow directions fairly well. I was wondering if anyone had some wood shed plans or recommendations?

I have an 8x10 concrete slab with an old aluminum shed that needs to come down. I'd like to put a new firewood shed on top of that concrete. I figured it may be slightly cheaper to do it myself rather than have the Amish come build one.

I learned a valuable lesson this year (first year wood stove burner) that I burn around 2.5-3 cords a year. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Troll around these threads, there are some really good shed idea's / designs that people come up with, and they are actually fairly simple to make.

I am by no means a carpenter, but can usually follow directions fairly well. I was wondering if anyone had some wood shed plans or recommendations?

I have an 8x10 concrete slab with an old aluminum shed that needs to come down. I'd like to put a new firewood shed on top of that concrete. I figured it may be slightly cheaper to do it myself rather than have the Amish come build one.

I learned a valuable lesson this year (first year wood stove burner) that I burn around 2.5-3 cords a year. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
An 8x10 area is huge in terms of cords. If you fill that space full and maybe 7 feet high you will have over 4 1/3 full cords of wood. A simple plan would be to use a 4x4 post at each corner and a 2x8 board front and rear to hold up the roof rafters. Rafters of 2x6 timber will easily hold up a roof of simple materials such as the corrugated fiberglass or steel roofing. Since you always season wood before bringing it in you can cover 3 sides with anything you like. Leave the downwind side open for easy access to bring your wood in during inclement weather. If the area is close enough to your home you could go traditional and build the wood shed around the back entry so that you need never go outside to get wood. Just enclose it on 3 sides against your home and put an exterior entry into the wood shed. It even functions as an air lock to some degree.

Reactions: Autorotate
Maybe the moderators would be so kind as to unlock the pinned "Show us yours! Wood shed" thread above.... There's lots of great shed ideas in there and there's more pics that people could add. It's been locked almost a year now. Maybe edit out some of the last posts where it kind of degraded into name calling... I really enjoy looking at other people's shed builds and having a lot of them in one place was so nice!

Reactions: Autorotate
Thanks all. I'll do some digging, but figured I would ask on here. I do remember the "Show us yours" thread which would probably have some plans in there. I'll keep looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.