1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Looking to Build Mantel Behind Pellet Stove Need Some Ideas

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by MarkF48, Dec 7, 2012.

1. MarkF48

MarkF48 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Central MA
    If you built a mantel behind your pellet stove, could you post some pics. I have a couple of ideas in mind, but wanted to see what you guys have done.

Below is what I'll be working around. The white piece on the wall presently is cement board Harman-Pellet-Stove.jpg

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. will711

will711 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pocono mts.
    I got this mantle from Lowe's came unfinished filled in the middle with wainscoat or bead board sprayed painted it.

Also could put a facing stone or brick on the wall that's what I did with the wood burner in the basement covered over cinder block.

Attached Files:

3. tjnamtiw

tjnamtiw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    North Georgia
    The mantel is beautiful but where is your floor protector????
  4. tjnamtiw

Loc:
    North Georgia
  5. will711

will711 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pocono mts.
    Thank you ! The Accentra comes with a cast iron floor protector so it looks like it's part of the stove it makes everything to code.

Then what I did to protect the nice hardwood floor I installed was to take a piece of commercial grade carpet cut to the same shape as the floor protector[ see white out line in pic ] turned upside down so when I need to service the stove it slides and no gouging the floor. Works great.
  6. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

I have a small corner shelf installed.

Its not much. But a simple shelf looks pretty good. IMO

2011-10-27_19-57-07_44.jpg
  7. tjnamtiw

Loc:
    North Georgia
    Very classy looking!!!!
  8. tjnamtiw

Loc:
    North Georgia
    This mantel is available prebuilt but I can't remember where I saw it. The former owner used it to surround a real fireplace he had installed.

sante fe1.jpg
  9. RCR

RCR New Member

http://brosco.com/products/product-overview/mantels.aspx

Dont know how these compare to others in terms of cost. Brosco is availible in big box stores but i have had gotten better pricing from local lumberyards also. If you know someone who is a contractor maybe you can get even lower . If nothing else and you are handy w/ wood you can use as a guide for sizing and design ideas. Good luck
  10. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Thank you... I love both of your installs also. Especially your Castile... What a beauty :)
  11. tjnamtiw

Loc:
    North Georgia
    Thanks! The Sante Fe is too plain. I should have gotten the gold trim pieces for it.
  12. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Just paint them. Thats all I did. (That pic above is last season). I have since painted the Grill. Thought about doing the door. But will wait till Spring (If I dont sell it by then). Its not a shiny as brass or nickel. But from 10 ft away, it looks great.

Click to enlarge

Goldgrill.jpg
  13. tjnamtiw

Loc:
    North Georgia
    I LIKE that!!! I am definitely going to do that! I dabble in pottery too and thought of making some custom tiles to fill in the recess in the surround above the stove. One more project!!! !!!
  14. MarkF48

MarkF48 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Central MA
    Progressing along with the mantel build, I got the pilaster side pieces complete today. Mantel Pilasters 121712.jpg
    smoke show, briansol and Brokenwing like this.
  15. will711

will711 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pocono mts.
    Looks nice did you make these yourself? I see saw dust on the floor if you did that's awesome true craftsmanship.
  16. MarkF48

MarkF48 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Central MA
    Yup, sawdust is mine and these represent about $30 worth of pine so far. Thanks for the complement, this is probably one of the more detailed type of projects I've undertaken.
  17. will711

will711 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pocono mts.
    It looks really great can't wait to see the finished project! you have talent .
  18. Bioburner

Bioburner Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West central Mn
    Here is the finished project behind my gas backup. Materials from HD

Attached Files:

19. MarkF48

MarkF48 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Central MA
    A little further along in the project. Not yet complete, but wanted what I had up for Christmas. Eventually will add crown molding below the mantel shelf and will be painted white to match the rest of the trim.

Mantle-Progress-v1-web.jpg
    smoke show likes this.
  20. will711

will711 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pocono mts.
    Looking good! Happy Holidays!