1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Looking to Buy a new Saw. Recomendations?

Post in 'The Gear' started by HOTBOX, Mar 22, 2014.

1. HOTBOX

HOTBOX New Member

Loc:
    Jamestown, NY
    Hi,
    Im new to heating with wood. (just installed a wood furnace a month ago). Im going to start cutting my wood pile for next winter+ and i want to buy a new chainsaw. I now have my dads older Sthil 026 with 16 inch bar. It runs ok but has alot of years on it. I'm Thinking another sthil or Husqurvarna. Probably will be cutting up to ten cord a year with it using my old one as back up. Any thoughts from all of you with some good experience? Size? Bar Length? make?

Thanx alot. Figured id ask the guys who have been there done that.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Clyde S. Dale

Clyde S. Dale Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    SE PA
  3. WiscWoody

WiscWoody Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Wisconsin where us fools live
  4. Fifelaker

Fifelaker Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NW Mi
    Since you have half of the ultimate firewood saw plan with a MS260 50cc. I would look at a 70cc either Stihl or Husqvarna.
  5. HOTBOX

HOTBOX New Member

Loc:
    Jamestown, NY
    I will have to check out how big and heavy the larger saws are. Love that 026 for being light and maneuverable. Really I just want nothing bigger than being able to buck up 24" max hardwood
  6. isipwater

isipwater Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    South Shore, MA
    Good luck in your search as I am in the same position. I have been considering

New vs Used
    Amount of power
    bar size
    Brand
    Warranty
    Ability to have saw serviced by dealer
    Pro vs Ranch

So many options out there.

I am trying to keep a long term perspective, that is, getting a saw that will still be performing well in 10 -15 years and be powerful yet light enough so that logs get bucked quickly without straining my back too much.

Good luck.
  7. smokedragon

smokedragon Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    +1 to that. If you want a newer saw and the 026 is working fine, I would get a big enough saw that you feel it is worth the upgrade.
    Osagebndr and NWCoaster like this.
  8. Fifelaker

Fifelaker Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NW Mi
    Weight is kind of immaterial as once it is in the cut it is a non issue. Use the bigger saw to buck with and the 026 to cut everything else. You have the chance to have the best of both worlds. A 70cc saw and a 24" bar will be just right as Goldilocks would say. The other option would be to send your 026 to a certain monkey in Tennessee and turn it into a fire breather. But I would rather have a 2 saw plan.
    Osagebndr, NWCoaster and TreePointer like this.
  9. bassJAM

bassJAM Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Cincinnati OH
    Agree with the 2 saw plan! Rebuilt the 026 if you think it needs it, and get something around 70cc's. I wouldn't get another 50cc saw to replace an already legendary one.
    Osagebndr and NWCoaster like this.
  10. mstoelton

mstoelton Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    SE michigan
    Pick up a used makita rental saw from HD. They are going to be selling their rentals in the next month or so.

I just grabbed a Makita 6421 for$285. It is a Dolmar saw with Makita markings 64cc. It is built very well.
  11. isipwater

isipwater Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    South Shore, MA
    Good for you. I tried going that route but could any HD's in the area with any Makita's for sale. I tried for two months actually. I hope you enjoy your new saw. I hear lots of good things about them.
  12. smokedragon

Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    I started with an 028AV that I got cheap at a yard sale (because it wouldn't start or oil the bar). Tinkered and had it working pretty quick. After a while, I decided to purchase a new(er) saw. My wife purchased an MS290 for me for my birthday 4 years ago (not realizing that it was almost the same saw I already had). I do like the MS290 better than the older saw, but both run and cut well.

There are times I wish I had a bigger saw, and I am considering selling the 028 and getting a larger saw. I wouldn't bother if I weren't getting a serious upgrade (044 or larger).

I don't cut bigger than 24", but I have run into some oak and hickory that it seemed to take ALL day to make a cut (with a VERY sharp chain). I think the 290 with a 18" bar is ok for about 15" firewood. Once you get the nose of the bar into the wood, it will be awhile.

isipwater, I know you have been pining over what saw to purchase for a while.........If you can get a really good deal on a clean used Stihl or Husky, I would go for it. I have seen Stihl 044 and 064 for not a lot more than a new MS 291.
  13. Woodfarmer1

Woodfarmer1 New Member

Loc:
    Bowmanville, On,Can
    Jonsered 2172
  14. roadiestar

roadiestar New Member

Dolmar-Makita or Echo for me
  15. ironworker

ironworker Member

Loc:
    Upstate NY
    372xp or ms441.
    Osagebndr likes this.
  16. Osagebndr

Osagebndr Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Indiana
    I'm currently looking into reconditioned 70 cc saws. Might want to check into that route as they can be a bank breaker new
  17. SCOTT S.

SCOTT S. New Member

Loc:
    Waupaca WI
    I have the ms260 and 460 could not be happier. The 460 fells then 260 to limb and buck anything under 8" then back to the 460. I have a 25" and a 18" bar for the 460. It's not cheap but it is a awsome saw.
  18. AK13

AK13 Member

Loc:
    Seacoast, NH
    I just did the same yesterday. Mine was marked at $300 but had $260 written on the back of the tag and someone else's name. I said, I'm not so and so but I'll gladly take this for $260. Hopefully it wasn't beat on too badly. The scabbard is shredded (as were 2 other rental saws there!). It is scary to think about a homeowner too stupid to remove the chain cover using a saw that big. Anyway, this seems like a lot of saw for the money. They are now going for $700 new on Baileys.
  19. ailanthus

ailanthus Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Shen Valley, VA
    Sounds like you've already got it. Make sure your chains are sharp and try a full chisel chain if you want to before dropping $500 on a new saw. This will be a minority opinion, but you shouldn't need any more saw than you've got. Although cutting 10 cords a year you would save yourself some time with something bigger.
  20. ihookem

ihookem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Allenton, Wisconsin
    I have an 021 dad gave me, never use it, an 026 and use it for 4-6" stuff, an 034 I bough new in 1992. It is my go to saw. I also have a Stihl 441. It screams but I just don't care to cut logs so big that I need the 441. It's a nice saw with a 25" bar but might go down to 16" or 20 " and should really scream then. My favorite is my 034, it does everything.
  21. smokedragon

Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    You have a 441 that you don't care to use........if I lived closer, I would care to use it for you ::-)
  22. Creekheat

Creekheat Member

Loc:
    Kentucky
    Ive got a Husky with a 20" bar. Great saw.
  23. HOTBOX

HOTBOX New Member

Loc:
    Jamestown, NY
    Thanx everyone for the input. I ended up buying a husqvarna 550xp. I love it. Considerably more power than the 026 and so smooth. Now I will put the old girl into semi retirement as a back up saw
    tjcole50 and TreePointer like this.
  24. kingquad

kingquad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pennsylvania
    Awesome saw. I love mine. As soon as the warranty is up, do a muffler mod. It makes a huge difference on this saw.
  25. bassJAM

bassJAM Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Cincinnati OH
    Don't wait for the warranty to do the muffler mod...I cut mine up after the first tank!