Looking to Buy a new Saw. Recomendations?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HOTBOX

Mar 16, 2014
Jamestown, NY
Hi,
Im new to heating with wood. (just installed a wood furnace a month ago). Im going to start cutting my wood pile for next winter+ and i want to buy a new chainsaw. I now have my dads older Sthil 026 with 16 inch bar. It runs ok but has alot of years on it. I'm Thinking another sthil or Husqurvarna. Probably will be cutting up to ten cord a year with it using my old one as back up. Any thoughts from all of you with some good experience? Size? Bar Length? make?

Thanx alot. Figured id ask the guys who have been there done that.

Since you have half of the ultimate firewood saw plan with a MS260 50cc. I would look at a 70cc either Stihl or Husqvarna.

I will have to check out how big and heavy the larger saws are. Love that 026 for being light and maneuverable. Really I just want nothing bigger than being able to buck up 24" max hardwood

Good luck in your search as I am in the same position. I have been considering

New vs Used
Amount of power
bar size
Brand
Warranty
Ability to have saw serviced by dealer
Pro vs Ranch

So many options out there.

I am trying to keep a long term perspective, that is, getting a saw that will still be performing well in 10 -15 years and be powerful yet light enough so that logs get bucked quickly without straining my back too much.

Good luck.

I would look at a 70cc either Stihl or Husqvarna.
+1 to that. If you want a newer saw and the 026 is working fine, I would get a big enough saw that you feel it is worth the upgrade.

Weight is kind of immaterial as once it is in the cut it is a non issue. Use the bigger saw to buck with and the 026 to cut everything else. You have the chance to have the best of both worlds. A 70cc saw and a 24" bar will be just right as Goldilocks would say. The other option would be to send your 026 to a certain monkey in Tennessee and turn it into a fire breather. But I would rather have a 2 saw plan.

Agree with the 2 saw plan! Rebuilt the 026 if you think it needs it, and get something around 70cc's. I wouldn't get another 50cc saw to replace an already legendary one.

Pick up a used makita rental saw from HD. They are going to be selling their rentals in the next month or so.

I just grabbed a Makita 6421 for$285. It is a Dolmar saw with Makita markings 64cc. It is built very well.

Good for you. I tried going that route but could any HD's in the area with any Makita's for sale. I tried for two months actually. I hope you enjoy your new saw. I hear lots of good things about them.

I started with an 028AV that I got cheap at a yard sale (because it wouldn't start or oil the bar). Tinkered and had it working pretty quick. After a while, I decided to purchase a new(er) saw. My wife purchased an MS290 for me for my birthday 4 years ago (not realizing that it was almost the same saw I already had). I do like the MS290 better than the older saw, but both run and cut well.

There are times I wish I had a bigger saw, and I am considering selling the 028 and getting a larger saw. I wouldn't bother if I weren't getting a serious upgrade (044 or larger).

I don't cut bigger than 24", but I have run into some oak and hickory that it seemed to take ALL day to make a cut (with a VERY sharp chain). I think the 290 with a 18" bar is ok for about 15" firewood. Once you get the nose of the bar into the wood, it will be awhile.

isipwater, I know you have been pining over what saw to purchase for a while.........If you can get a really good deal on a clean used Stihl or Husky, I would go for it. I have seen Stihl 044 and 064 for not a lot more than a new MS 291.

I'm currently looking into reconditioned 70 cc saws. Might want to check into that route as they can be a bank breaker new

I have the ms260 and 460 could not be happier. The 460 fells then 260 to limb and buck anything under 8" then back to the 460. I have a 25" and a 18" bar for the 460. It's not cheap but it is a awsome saw.

I just grabbed a Makita 6421 for$285. It is a Dolmar saw with Makita markings 64cc. It is built very well.

I just did the same yesterday. Mine was marked at $300 but had $260 written on the back of the tag and someone else's name. I said, I'm not so and so but I'll gladly take this for $260. Hopefully it wasn't beat on too badly. The scabbard is shredded (as were 2 other rental saws there!). It is scary to think about a homeowner too stupid to remove the chain cover using a saw that big. Anyway, this seems like a lot of saw for the money. They are now going for $700 new on Baileys.

Love that 026 for being light and maneuverable.....I just want nothing bigger than being able to buck up 24" max hardwood

Sounds like you've already got it. Make sure your chains are sharp and try a full chisel chain if you want to before dropping $500 on a new saw. This will be a minority opinion, but you shouldn't need any more saw than you've got. Although cutting 10 cords a year you would save yourself some time with something bigger.

I have an 021 dad gave me, never use it, an 026 and use it for 4-6" stuff, an 034 I bough new in 1992. It is my go to saw. I also have a Stihl 441. It screams but I just don't care to cut logs so big that I need the 441. It's a nice saw with a 25" bar but might go down to 16" or 20 " and should really scream then. My favorite is my 034, it does everything.

You have a 441 that you don't care to use........if I lived closer, I would care to use it for you ::-)

Thanx everyone for the input. I ended up buying a husqvarna 550xp. I love it. Considerably more power than the 026 and so smooth. Now I will put the old girl into semi retirement as a back up saw
Awesome saw. I love mine. As soon as the warranty is up, do a muffler mod. It makes a huge difference on this saw.

Don't wait for the warranty to do the muffler mod...I cut mine up after the first tank!

Status
Not open for further replies.