Looking to buy a new saw: Stihl 460 or 660

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. Go with the 440 . It's the best saw for the money you well ever need. I love my 440 and don't see how more weight would be better because the saw is just perfect like it is. Never met a tree I could not handle with my 440. David

You 440 aficionados... who's running a 440 versus the 441 C-M, R C-M, C-Q, etc.?

You 440 aficionados... who's running a 440 versus the 441 C-M, R C-M, C-Q, etc.?

Big Redd opted 440 over the 441.

I'm not sure you can get the MS440 anymore. I think the only new ones left are just whatever is in dealer inventories.

My "official" vote is MS460. Anybody considering a MS660 is obviously looking for big boy power and while the smaller saws suggested here are all fabulous machines that may or may not ;) outshine the MS460 in the weight/fuel consumption/vibration/price arenas, they lack the teeth present on the MS460.

Whole-heartedly recommend getting the Canadian DP muffler cover and re-tuning the saw.

Trying to sell a Vespa to someone asking about a Harley rarely succeeds.

Loggers/fallers here in the PNW greatly prefered the 440 to the 441. Actually when the 440s were phased out the first time, most loggers went with the 460 rather than go to the 441. 441s never sold well around here. Some fallers I know went with the Husky 372. The 440 also came in different models. I have an 044 RM myself (3/4 wrap, large falling dogs, and large 'PNW' side cover). Note the weight of the 441 is the same as the 460. Weight is critical when falling all day long.

Reactions: woodsmaster
I'm not sure you can get the MS440 anymore. I think the only new ones left are just whatever is in dealer inventories.

Stihl stopped selling the 440 with the new EPA smog laws a few years ago after the 441 came out, and then last year they started selling the 440 again (much to the delight of many). As far as I know, any Stihl dealer can currently order a 440 now. No plans to stop selling them that I am aware of. The 440s are very popular out here in the wild west.

Trying to sell a Vespa to someone asking about a Harley rarely succeeds.

Well, I would put the 440, 441, 460 and 372xpw all in the same class (they are all 70+cc saws). Not that much difference between them (less than 5cc total). They are hardly the Vespas of chainsaws, and none of those saws would garner any disrespect in any logging camp that I have been through in these parts. The 660 is a different beast, but it is a beast. If he simply wants a macho balls-on torque monster chainsaw, just get the 660 and be done with it.

The OP has an amusing request here though, in that he is trying to decide between the second and third largest Stihl saws available. Yet he only wants to run a 25 inch bar cutting 6 cords of rather soft pine a year. Hence my recommending ~slightly~ smaller saws, which are all lighter and more managable, and will expose him to far less vibration and potential medical conditions like white finger, arthritis and tendonitis. He could get a 60cc saw like a 360 or 361 and run a 25 inch bar on it to cut pine all day long. I do just that myself for falling and bucking fir, hemlock, pine and redwood. IMO, he is looking at way too much saw for the job he needs to get done.

Reactions: Thistle
I have a Stihl dealer right up the way and he seems to be pretty knowledgable and has both saws currently in stock. For a while now I have wanted to give a Stihl saw a try!

I have looked at the 562XP and 372XP but have been leaning towards the 460 or 660.
Good dealers can be hard to find, so I understand where you're coming from. My local Stihl dealer is really good, but won't budge off of MSRP. My saws were all bought second hand at really good prices. Easier to find deals on orange saws:)

I'd just get the 460 .... it's cheaper and has more power than the 440. The 90cc class saws have their place, but those places are few and far between for a firewood cutter.

Reactions: amateur cutter
I'd just get the 460 .... it's cheaper and has more power than the 440. The 90cc class saws have their place, but those places are few and far between for a firewood cutter.

Huh? great advice from the guy that owns more saws than he does socks. ==c J/K hs. That's actually my thinking too, I just didn't put it nearly as well. A C

Reactions: DexterDay

I dunno about where you buy your saws, but the 460 is more expensive here than the 440... and always has been. *shrug* I would rather have your modified 372xp myself.

AC, I sold the 262 and have the 394 for sale as well.....I'm downsizing lol.

Stihlhead, I thought the 440 carried a premium price tag, maybe it's more expensive than the 441?...... regardless, I'd rather have a 372, ported or not.

Stihlhead, I thought the 440 carried a premium price tag, maybe it's more expensive than the 441?...... regardless, I'd rather have a 372, ported or not.

I get discounts on Stihl and Husky saws, so my perspective may be distorted. However, looking online at the Stihl saw MSPs, the 440 is $939, the 441 is $959, and the 460 is $999. Powerheads only, no B&C. Oh, you may be right about the 441 being cheaper, as the 441 R model (non-C/Q) is $909 and the 441 C/M model is $899. Amusing, the 440 is an older model saw and cheaper to make. I get a bigger discount on the 440 though. The last pre-smogged Husky 372xpw that I bought cost me $775.

I get discounts on Stihl and Husky saws, so my perspective may be distorted. However, looking online at the Stihl saw MSPs, the 440 is $939, the 441 is $959, and the 460 is $999. Powerheads only, no B&C. Oh, you may be right about the 441 being cheaper, as the 441 R model (non-C/Q) is $909 and the 441 C/M model is $899. Amusing, the 440 is an older model saw and cheaper to make. I get a bigger discount on the 440 though. The last pre-smogged Husky 372xpw that I bought cost me $775.

http://annarbor.craigslist.org/tls/3083950031.html It's still there. Just got bumped yesterday. C'MON, you know you want it.

http://annarbor.craigslist.org/tls/3083950031.html It's still there. Just got bumped yesterday. C'MON, you know you want it.

My precious!!! I will not give in to temptation! Still waffeling... now if it was an RM model 440? I would snap it up (3/4 wrap, large side cover, big falling dogs). The OP of this thread should buy this saw. Point point ->

Amusing re-reading the ad though: "The dealer said the 440 and 441 are the same just last year's model."

Not even close. They are light years apart. Nothing about those two saws are the same, except the displacement and the bars that they run.

AC, I sold the 262 and have the 394 for sale as well.....I'm downsizing lol.

PM me the info please, I can get to Ohio & back while the wife's at work. A C

Reactions: MasterMech
Amusing re-reading the ad though: "The dealer said the 440 and 441 are the same just last year's model."

Not even close. They are light years apart. Nothing about those two saws are the same, except the displacement and the bars that they run.

That's not surprising. They are a JD equipment dealer tbat happens to sell Stihl. I walked in there when I was shopping for a mower. I was there for a full ten minutes (perusing the Stihl selection), and nobody even acknowledged my presence. It is the closest Stihl dealer for me, but I'll drive an extra fifteen minutes to another one if I need anything. That guy was super busy with commercial mower guys in the middle of the summer, when I went to buy a chain for my 270. He didn't have any 18" yellow chains, so he sold me a 16" b&c for cost. I don't know what 'cost' is, but I got them for less than $40.

After all the help here I have decided to go with the 460. So I went to buy the 460 yesterday and he had sold it on Monday, so I will have to wait till next week. He ordered me one and should arrive either next Monday or Tuesday. Thanks for all the insight and help. I will post pics when I get it home.

I think you made the right decision. You're gonna love that saw and it will MORE than do what you need it to do.

I think you made the right decision. You're gonna love that saw and it will MORE than do what you need it to do.

I agree 100%.... Thats more saw than needed for most applications. I have a 18",20",25", and 32" for mine. Put a 18" or 20" on that 460 and LOOK OUT! !! !! !! Its like a Light Saber for wood! ;) The 25" is nice too, because you dont have to bend down for limbing or trimming (Im only 5'5", so this statement may not be true if your 6' +).

One day when a 660 comes along on CL, you can snag it! Because everyone should have a 90cc Class Saw!!

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/tls/3117452832.html This wont last long...... Selling my Husqvarna's. To create funds for the next deal on CL like rhis.

Reactions: ScotO
That's not surprising. They are a JD equipment dealer tbat happens to sell Stihl. I walked in there when I was shopping for a mower. I was there for a full ten minutes (perusing the Stihl selection), and nobody even acknowledged my presence. It is the closest Stihl dealer for me, but I'll drive an extra fifteen minutes to another one if I need anything. That guy was super busy with commercial mower guys in the middle of the summer, when I went to buy a chain for my 270. He didn't have any 18" yellow chains, so he sold me a 16" b&c for cost. I don't know what 'cost' is, but I got them for less than $40.

Well, long story short, JD is actually the reason we have all these new smog laws for chainsaws. They lobbied for them when they had a clean burning 2-stroke technology in a company that they owned. Then Stihl, Husky and Dolmar all came out with cleaner engines and they figured they could not compete. So then they sold off the 2-stroke engine company and decided to drop making all equipment with small engines. So they cut a deal with Stihl and Honda and others. Go figure... the best Stihl deals/discount I get are actually at a JD dealer here. That JD dealer replaced a really small and crappy dealer that was chiseling people before, so no loss there. The JD dealer is not the best place for information on saws and engines, but they carry the saws and parts that I buy and they have a nice cute gal behind a desk with a great smile... she makes my day at times.

A 460 is plenty of saw for a scrounging woodburner. You will be very happy with it, as there ain't much out there that it won;t handle. I'll put it this way....if a 460 won't cut it, it's time to call a pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.