Looking to buy a pellet stove!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leff13

Feb 13, 2014
Pennsylvania
I have a very small house and after this winter using 500 plus gallons of oil totaling over 2,100 bucks its time to look at alternative heat. I have been browsing for a pellet stove to heat my whole house and completely do away with oil. The only brand ive looked at were harmans as there is a dealer within 20 miles from me, so went and checked a few of them out yesterday. My girlfriend liked the advanced, i like the xxv but really wanted the 68. question is i have a living room/kitchen for my floor it will be put on, with 2 bedrooms and a half bath upstairs. im guessing on roughly 900 square foot. Will a p68 be to much, or should i be looking at something like the p43?

I was told the cost for the p43 was 2,899 with an additional 300 off so taking it to 2,599. the guy said it could be delivered, installed with a fresh air kit because of where i want to put it between 2 windows for 850, any input on if this is a good price or should i just do it myself?

also will the p43 heat up my living room/kitchen and the upstairs bedrooms and little bathroom? i have a basement but im putting electric hyrdonic baseboard because i dont feel if i put the stove down there the heat would travel 3 stories without forced air or something to help it?

Unless your house has virtually no insulation, the P43 should be plenty for you. We heat our 1900 sq ft house with an XXV. We have only burned 90 bags so far this year. That is well below the capability of the P43, which is what I now wish we had purchased (and saved money).
For a reference point: Our house has R19 walls and R38 in the ceiling.
From what I have read, putting a stove in the basement is generally less than ideal. If your basement is well insulated it can certainly change things. But if you rarely go down there, you might as well not heat it all the time. We leave our finished basement thermostat on 54, and the heat has yet to come on.
I think I paid around $750 for the pipe, OAK, and install. I wouldn't try it myself, but that doesn't mean you can't.
You will get a lot more good info here. Good luck!

yeah i plan on putting in my living room and just using electric baseboard for the basement but the basement also has my full bathroom and a big rec space i use a lot for xbox and shooting darts

Status
Not open for further replies.