Looking to buy a roof rake..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 21, 2007
Chelmsford, Ma
Hey everyone,Does anyone have any idea what brand is good or where i can get a really heavy duty roof rake?

FJLayes625 said:
Hey everyone,Does anyone have any idea what brand is good or where i can get a really heavy duty roof rake?

Bought mine at the local hardware store years ago and it's still going strong. No brand name but it's all aluminum, three parts, works great. I found the key for me was not to wait until the storm deposited a foot or more of snow, but to go out and quickly pull a smaller amount. Much easier and maybe faster. If you have too much accumulation then take smaller bites starting at the bottom and work your way up the roof. Try to get it off before the snow hardens or gets saturated with water; much easier on you and the rake.
Ed

Agree on the smaller bites when snow gets packed and heavy. I have a hand me down, pole is in three telescoping sections, the scraper part was plastic and broke. I took an old cookie sheet and bolted it to the end of the pole. Cookie sheet is a little rusty and bent up but it still works.

Being minnesota, I have several.....

I got one on garage sale that has some small plastic rollers, tubing really, about 5/8 diameter x 2 inches long, on the corners of the cutting edge. Thought it was a gimmick but it does work well to protect the shingles.

I have seen the rectangular frame on a stick that acts as a snow 'cutter', then has a trailing sheet of poly to slid the snow downward. Have not used, but would like to know if anyone else has. I think it would save a lot on the shingle wear from scraping. I am very careful to work lightly and leave snow on the shingles, but invariably somewhere gets scraped.

I also welded up a thread adaptor for the end to use the alum poles with my chimney brush for cleaning the flue pipe. Easier to rod from the roof when I only have to add 6 ft sections at a time.

kcj

Status
Not open for further replies.