Looking to buy an insert for a 1888 sq ft Ranch - Lopi, Osburn ???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just leave it open. A tarp might be nice just before the snow flies but leave it uncovered otherwise.

A perfect solution is a shed with slat walls that allow wind through. This allows the wind to dry your stacks but keeps your stacks free from snow. Really not much of an advantage over stacking in the open though.

Depends on your location. Out here a wood shed is 1000% better than leaving it out in the open if you want consistently dry wood to burn.

You Should be able to buy your insert at a discount as we get toward the end of the heating season...and may also be able to get your install materials at a discount then. If you find a sale price on either/both present the proof of price to the installer you like most of those who have seen the home, and see if they will match or nearly match the price. You might also be able to arrange with the installer to give you a discounted install price if you give him the flexibility to install at his convenience, with a firm absolute guaranteed by then install date that is, say, August 1.

And don't be afraid of cataltic or hybrid inserts or stoves.

Guys, just wanted to give you an update. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on an Osburn 2400 insert. I ordered on Monday, January 28th. He said he is about 2 weeks out on installations.
So, I'll post pictures once it gets installed. I got it for $4300 installed and that included an mantel shield and free $550 log splitter. Also, get a tax credit for $300. So, not too bad I guess.
I was able to save about $200 by going with an Amish guy that installs boilers and inserts just out of town. I also purchases a 18 x 48 UL listed black hearth extender for $55.00 online. Thank you for all your help, I really appreciate it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.