Looking to buy/install Glass Fireplace Doors

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

isa9man

Nov 18, 2010
Midwest
We have a 1979 built home with a wood-burning fireplace that doesn't have any front covering. Last fall we bought a temporary screen but with a new little one this past year we are looking for something more fixed. My question is this, the fireplace opening is 34.5"-Wide / 26.5"-Height. We have found a glass door fixture that we like but our box opening fits the upper max of the "small" size & the lower sizes of the "medium". I would like the medium if it has a larger opening but don't want it to not fit right... What does everyone recommend?

SMALL: http://www.homedepot.com/Building-M...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

MEDIUM: http://www.homedepot.com/Building-M...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Great suggestion for the Stoll fireplace doors. I sold them for over 10 years on Long Island and sold 3-400 per year. Always good quality, always great service. They wont be cheap like a home depot door, but you will be getting your moneys worth for sure. I just clicked that link. Im pretty sure you can buy a stoll door from a regular fireplace shop for only a couple hundred bucks more than the home depot door. Id save up and go that route for sure. I was assuming you were looking at a $99 special or something. At least go into a fireplace shop and check it out.

Thank you both for the suggestion... I can't afford to put that kind of money into a custom door got a couple quotes from two local reps and said for the box size etc it would be about $800 not including install. I am not putting that kind of money into the door just can't... I will just keep using the removable screen for that price.

Also my wife doesn't like the look of the Stoll doors nearly as much unless I am missing one that is cheaper and looks like the one I attached above.

So with all that aside, which size would you install assuming I am picking the attached door.

Status
Not open for further replies.