Looking to buy my first pellet stove!! 2005 Avalon Astoria good choice?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mustangsal

Dec 21, 2010
Mahopac NY
Hello everybody this is my first post on this forum and I am very excited to learn more about pellet stoves and talk to people about them! I have a wood stove In my house but I also want to put a pellet stove In my garage. I decided to invest my money into a pellet stove. I was doing my homework and I found that the Avalon Astoria Pellet Stove would be perfect for me. I can't afford $3800 for a brand new one (Even with the tax credit). I found a 2005 Avalon Astoria Pellet Stove on Craigs list. THe guy used it for 3 years then he moved and left it in his garage sitting till this day. He said he never had a problem with it and it's just dirty with very little surface rust. He wants $1200 for it, is that good deal? Just need some help on what to ask this guy and what to look for. Also anything else I would need to buy for this stove.

Ok well the stove is 5 years old,so it is young.Honestly I think if you do not know about stoves find a buddy that does and have he or she go with you to look at it.

make sure all works 100% not just what the guy says.of course you will need pellet pipe for it

MustangSal,

welcome to the forum!

As for the Astoria, that is the same stove I had before buying a multi-fuel unit....and it's even the same year as the one I had! Great stove, HUGE hopper, and throws a lot of heat when set-up and burning correctly.

First thing I'd ask the owner to do is to plug the stove in outside and makes sure it runs (doesn't need any pipe for that).....you might want to bring a bag of pellets just in case he says he doesn't have any, but you DO want to see it start-up & run for at least 30-45 minutes. Make sure all the controls work.

If it does seem to run OK, then the question of price comes in. I'll just tell you that I paid $1500 for mine in 2008 (3 years old) from a dealer who had it just for showroom burning. I think $1200 is a little steep for a 5 yr. old stove, unless it's in VERY good shape. I think I'd offer him $1000 CASH.

If you do buy it, be sure to do a COMPLETE cleaning of everything....firebox, ash traps, remove & clean both blowers, etc, etc. before you install it.

BTW, I have the owners manual and service manuals I can email you if you want.

Good luck!

awesome answer imacman....... I concur he said everything I couldnt!

Mustangsal said:
...My friend who has a pellet stove would be coming with me to take a look at it......

EXCELLENT idea!

And in addition to what I said above about cleaning before install, if you can put the stove outdoors after cleaning & re-assemble, it would be a great time to attach a leaf blower and suck any remaining ash out.

The guy said $1050 cash in hand. But he is 101 miles from my house. He said it's perfect just needs a good cleaning. I think it's worth a trip. Right?

I commute that far to work every day. I'd take a look at it.

Don't get all crazy for that one stove though. There are plenty of good used stoves on the craigslist.

fishsniffer said:
I commute that far to work every day. I'd take a look at it.

Don't get all crazy for that one stove though. There are plenty of good used stoves on the craigslist.

Wow I drive 45 miles one way and I think that's along time I don't know you do 100 miles one way. That is the best price around my area. They guy has a 2006 Astoria but he wanted $2500! But I got him down to $1800 no way!

I gave $2500 for my 2006 model Mt Vernon, last year. Beats the $3700 price of a new one. Plus I didn't want to fill the propane tank again. That is a nice stove you are considering. I think it's a bargain and I would definately check it out. I have driven further for less.

Mustangsal said:
The guy said $1050 cash in hand. But he is 101 miles from my house. He said it's perfect just needs a good cleaning. I think it's worth a trip. Right?

200 miles at about 17 MPG means you'll spend about $40 in gas, and about 3 1/2 hrs driving time.....if you can get the stove for $1050 and are willing to make the trip, I'd say go for it....it's a very nice stove.

BUT, just like I said before, make sure it runs for a decent period of time....don't buy the "it's dirty and won't run well" excuse. If he tries that, ask him if he'd buy a 5 year old car w/o doing any test driving.

Good luck. Report back if you do get it.

Hello

I bought my Astoria Brand new in 09 in May on Sale 10% off, sold my VC wood/coal stove for $400 and got the $1500 Tax Credit and installed it myself. It works really well and can burn any type wood pellet with ease.

Good Luck and let's see some pics. Take a camera with you!!

So I talked to the guy 2 today's ago and I told him i will come and pick it up this sunday .I sent him two emails and called him and he's not responding. I think he didn't like the idea of me starting the stove up. O Well I have to keep on searching.

Mustangsal said:
.......he's not responding. I think he didn't like the idea of me starting the stove up......

Hmmmm....gee, I wonder why that would be???? 8-/

Hello

I just saw another 2 used Astorias a little farther away but could be worth the drive??
So don't give up.

Attachments

• UsedAvalonAstoria.jpg
    UsedAvalonAstoria.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 359
  • UsedAvalonAstoria2.jpg
    UsedAvalonAstoria2.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 391
Don2222 said:
Hello

I just found another used 2003 Astoria a little farther away but could be worth the 6 hour drive??
So don't give up.

$1800 for an 8 yr. old stove??? I think not. I'd offer $900 at MOST.

Don2222 said:
Hello

I just another 2 used Astorias a little farther away but could be worth the drive??
So don't give up.

The guy in Berlin wanted $2500 and I got him down to $1800 but no way. The guy in pa is like 150+ miles one way. But thanks for searching....I really appreciate you looking for me.

Hi

No comparison from what I hear. The Astoria is better quality and better design. I heard the Big E can dump the pellets into the burn pot too fast, maybe the angle of the drop shoot. Also no 3 sided glass if you want good looks.

The Astoria with it's 7 year warranty is in the league with Harman and Enviro.

Attachments

• PelletStoveBackPlane&Connection240sc.jpg
    PelletStoveBackPlane&Connection240sc.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 321
There are members who have had them, but IMO, I'd steer clear of anything made by Breckwell. Stick with Harman, Enviro, Avalon/Lopi, Englander, or St. Croix

If you are considering putting a pellet stove in your garage where you park your car, and perhaps have cans of combustables such as gasoline, etc, you might want to check with your code and see if its allowed, and secondly call your insurance company and find out if its going to be a problem. Personally unless my garage was converted to a family room or den, I would never consider anything with open flames in it. Gasoline fumes and fire dont go well together. Just my 2 cents about stoves in a garage.

Nicholas440 said:
If you are considering putting a pellet stove in your garage where you park your car, and perhaps have cans of combustables such as gasoline, etc, you might want to check with your code and see if its allowed, and secondly call your insurance company and find out if its going to be a problem. Personally unless my garage was converted to a family room or den, I would never consider anything with open flames in it. Gasoline fumes and fire dont go well together. Just my 2 cents about stoves in a garage.

I have a 2 car garage then I have 3 smaller rooms down stairs. I'm going to make it into my " Man Cave". The garage Is completely sealed off. It's for my basement but it also has to look good to be in my " Man Cave". It's all up to code and I did all my homework on it.
I have a quadra fire wood burning insert and I have it for 12 years and replaced very little on it. Does Quadra fire make good pellet stoves?

Hi- We just bought a Avalon Astoria stove this fall...it is 8 years old and in EXCELLENT condition.....the person who owned it was meticulous about the stove.....he wanted us to to see it burn and showed us EVERYTHING with the stove it self, took it all apart when we got there to buy it!!!...VERY helpful seeing as we are nubies with this sort of thing...I grew up with wood! He wanted 2000.00 for the stove BUT he was including the hearth, the decorative fire log and the stove pipe (which I was told that you shouldnt use and buy new BUT it was in MINT condition...he cleaned it out every 1 ton!!! and it was evident) the stove was reconditioned with most of all new parts...even gave me the place to call where he bought them to see that he wasnt lying!!...so I made and 0ffer of 1500.00 he then said that he also had a 1 year old ash vac (worth 240.00) that he was trying to sell separately that he would throw in for 1800.00! I said SOLD!!! The stove is great heats my 2000 sq. ft. house to about 67/68 most days!! Well worth it!! We didnt have the money to buy it new for 3200.00 just for the stove, not including everything else. So we started to look at cheaper new stoves from home depot and lowes...to me doesnt compare!!! They way i look at it is.... you can buy a new Yugo for less (with god knows what problems and where to get it fixed and parts) OR you can buy a used Cadillac with 80000 miles on it and know that it will run like a champ and is well worth the money!!! We are VERY happy with our Cadi!!

Status
Not open for further replies.