Looking to buy wood stove insert need sizing help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

usner21

Oct 16, 2009
Eastern PA
I currently have a fireplace in my basement with dimensions of 33" wide, 28" high, and 24" deep from the center of the front to the back wall. My walls of my firebox slope in pretty severely so I am not sure what kind of insert or stove I can get that will fit. It is a masonry built fireplace. I have attached a picture of the fireplace. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_1492.jpg
    IMG_1492.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 257
Just a side note my Hearth is 12".

whats the rear width? I'm guessing about 18" or so based on the bricks, but in this case an accurate measurement would help

usner21 said:
Just a side note my Hearth is 12".

Regardless of what you put in you'll be needing a hearth extension ,unless someone else here knows of a wood burning insert that has less than the typical 16-18" requirement

Franks said:
whats the rear width? I'm guessing about 18" or so based on the bricks, but in this case an accurate measurement would help

The rear width is 22"

So much for my eye balling measurement skills. You have a decent size firebox, so you should have plenty of options. You'll be getting suggestions from folks who like a particular brand and who will reccomend the appropriate size from that brand. I'll kind of do the same. The two lines our store carries is Hearthstone and Regency. But are great companies with good reputations and good warranty's.

From Hearthstone, I would suggest the Clydesdale if your looking to heat 1500ish square feet. It's rated for more, but I go more by real life experience than manufacturer ratings

Fromg Regency, I would suggest the I3100 if your looking to heat over 2000 square feet. The I2100 if your looking for in the 1500 square foot range. hope this helps

Franks said:
So much for my eye balling measurement skills. You have a decent size firebox, so you should have plenty of options. You'll be getting suggestions from folks who like a particular brand and who will reccomend the appropriate size from that brand. I'll kind of do the same. The two lines our store carries is Hearthstone and Regency. But are great companies with good reputations and good warranty's.

From Hearthstone, I would suggest the Clydesdale if your looking to heat 1500ish square feet. It's rated for more, but I go more by real life experience than manufacturer ratings

Fromg Regency, I would suggest the I3100 if your looking to heat over 2000 square feet. The I2100 if your looking for in the 1500 square foot range. hope this helps

You have been a big help. So basically the size of my fire box will not limit my choice of available stoves to bad then? Also my hearth is raised off the floor. Can I just buy some type of hearth extension or what do i have to do to set a stove on there that sits back into my fire box as far as possible?

Are those Heatilator grills to the sides of the opening. If so, your firebricks may be in front of a metal firebox. I don't know how that would effect the insert but it may.

Retired Guy said:
Are those Heatilator grills to the sides of the opening. If so, your firebricks may be in front of a metal firebox. I don't know how that would effect the insert but it may.

I bought the house less than a year ago and wasn't told if it was a Heatilator or not. I would assume it is. There is a switch to the right of the fireplace which turns on the fan inside the 4 vents you see.

Status
Not open for further replies.