looking to by a used hearthstone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bad69bird

Oct 7, 2011
New London Pa
Going this weekend to check out a used hearthstone stove, guy does not no the model. Looks ok in the one provided picture. Is there anything I should look for to be wrong? Can I tell if the cat is still good? If it needed one are they readily availble and reasonably priced? Guy is looking for 600 with any left over wood that he has if it is in good shape seems like it would beat buying a brand new one. Thanks in advance for any help

I wouldn't touch it if it doesn't have the EPA tag on the back. I don't think there ever was an EPA certified cat equipped hearthstone.

If it is non-epa skip it and buy a better stove. If 600 is all you have then buy an englander nc30.

If you don't know the model how do you know it has a cat? I have two different model Hearthstones and neither has a cat.

Another huge problem of not knowing the model will be it's size. The proper size stove needs to be purchased to adequately heat your home. If it's too big you'll be cooking yourself out of the house.. too small and it wont do the job. You have to match a stove size to the square feet of the space you want to heat (your house).

I thought Hearthstones were non-catalytic as well. The Heritage uses secondary air tubes. I bought mine 2 years old and it was $1200 + shipping. I'd check it out...maybe the seller doesn't know what it is. It could still be in good condition. $600 is cheap

My brother has a Hearthstone Heritage from the 70's that was Equinox sized. He was happy with that one, but that is definitely older technology. I don't know how much smoke it puts out, but it doesn't meet any EPA certifications. Find out how old that thing is first. There could be maintenance needed too if it was overfired or whatever. You'd need a trained eye if it's been used for more than a couple seasons.

Seller claims it has a cat. thats about all he knows about it. I priced out a new one and gave the stove shop the specs of my house, they recommended a heritage. house is poorly shaped, insert keeps one side of the house good. looking to put a stove on the other end to achieve even temps through out the house. I am in no rush to buy one and dont mind springing for a new one just figured I would keep an eye out for a deal on a used one since I have the time

logger said:
Another huge problem of not knowing the model will be it's size. The proper size stove needs to be purchased to adequately heat your home. If it's too big you'll be cooking yourself out of the house.. too small and it wont do the job. You have to match a stove size to the square feet of the space you want to heat (your house).
Simple enough even w/o knowing what it is. Take a tape with, and measure the firebox.

Hearthstone's early stoves.... sucked. The cat was down on the bottom and well, it isn't worth 600$. 600$ is not cheap when you can buy a new stove that is a top performer for near that.

Status
Not open for further replies.