Looking to Educate on Tree Species

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

teekal

Nov 28, 2014
Manitoba, Canada
Hey guys, as I'm new to the field (purchased a home with a wood stove last year), I am horrible at identifying tree species (both standing trees as well as split wood). Does anyone have a good resource on educating oneself in wood identification?

wood-database.com is great for me. It's designed for lumber ID, but grain and end grain pics are helpful, and it gives a numerical relative weight and density figures. It will take time to learn, but you will pick up a lot of experience just getting out and handling wood. My advice, don't try to use bark as an identifier, it varies too much. I've learned a lot just by handling splits and feeling how heavy they are compared to other woods I know. The best resource, though, is this forum. Get a good camera and post a pic of something you can't ID, and you will find an answer somehow!

woody.jpg

David Sibley wrote a new guide to trees. I haven't seen it but his bird guide is very good so I bet the tree guide is too. You have to learn trees one by one. Learn the ones in your yard, in your neighborhood, and before long you'll recognize most of the trees you see. I don't think there is a reliable way to identify trees by bark along. bark is too similar and too variable. There are some exceptions, like Shagbark Hickory, but too many tree have similar bark to make bark a stand-alone ID tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.