Looking to get an electric chainsaw need some direction.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webie

Minister of Fire
Feb 21, 2009
Wisconsin
I am looking to get myself an electric chainsaw because I need to do some bucking in my camp ground and I want to keep the noise down . I dont expect anything bigger than about 20 inches . This couild be a yearly event of cutting up about 6 cord .
I can be honest . I know a fair amount about gas saws and know nothing about electric ones . If I can I would rather not pay the price of a husky or stihl . Are there any other decent saws out there that are cheaper ?

Makita makes good electric tools so I imagine their electric chainsaw would be worth considering.

Milwaukee makes an electric chainsaw. Never seen a milwaukee tool that wasn't a good tool.

Based upon recommendations here, I have had good xp with my Makita UC4000, has a chain break and a 16" bar. I have bucked a 20-24" maple with it with the OEM safety chain on it. If I used it more often or when I need a new chain, I'd get a non-safety chain for it.

It does require special chaps, if you want to remain safe...

Jay

I also have had good experience for several years with the Makita UC4000, running Oregon 91VX on it. Cutting logs is a much more pleasant experience when you don't have to work in the noise and exhaust fumes of a gas saw. The equivalent current model is the UC4030.

From what I've read, the (Sears) Craftsman 34118 is next-best at a lower price ($100), but I've never used one.

Whatever one you get, you'll need heavy-guage extension cord, #10 or #12.

webie said:
I am looking to get myself an electric chainsaw because I need to do some bucking in my camp ground and I want to keep the noise down . I dont expect anything bigger than about 20 inches . This couild be a yearly event of cutting up about 6 cord .
I can be honest . I know a fair amount about gas saws and know nothing about electric ones . If I can I would rather not pay the price of a husky or stihl . Are there any other decent saws out there that are cheaper ?

http://www.consumersearch.com/chainsaws

webie said:

Six cord per year with an electric saw?

Rilly?

Bigg_Redd said:
webie said:

Six cord per year with an electric saw?

Rilly?

Yes

Oh boy it would be easier for me to buy a gas saw . Thanks for all the replies . I really just dont know what to do . There is such a spread in cost out there that is for sure , just about like gas saws . I am finding a bunch of information on the net and great responses from you guys . Thanks kenny for the link to consumersaws which lead me to this link .
http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/industry-news.asp?sectionID=1492&articleID=494387
I am still looking and looking at all the models you guys have listed . I like the price of the poulan but the makita has had some good reviews .

I bought the polan pro 4 hp 18 inch bar electric chain saw from amazon.com for $73.oo with free shipping. It is essentialy the saw saw as the sears 4 hp 18 in electric which is made by poulan for sears that sears sells for $96.99

The sears saw has tool free chain tensioning but I am perfectly happy with the screwdriver tensioner of the poulan pro because they put the screw adjustment
on the outside front of the blade not behind the blade, like on the older saws.

I greatly appreciated that because it made tensioning so much easier.

While the poulan pro is no stille saw , it was the best electric for $73.oo as opposed to 270.00
to 360.oo for the still & husquaviaria models that out preformed the poulan pro. after all there is a 200.oo to 290.oo price difference.

I could buy 4.9 poulan pros for the cost of the more expensive electric saw.

webie said:
I am looking to get myself an electric chainsaw because I need to do some bucking in my camp ground and I want to keep the noise down . I don't expect anything bigger than about 20 inches . This could be a yearly event of cutting up about 6 cord .
I can be honest . I know a fair amount about gas saws and know nothing about electric ones . If I can I would rather not pay the price of a husky or Stihl . Are there any other decent saws out there that are cheaper ?

6 cord a year with an electric, eh? You might be going thru more than one the first year. Couple things you will want to look for if you want something that will last:

#1 - Metal gears. The plastic ones will NOT last (I went thru several before throwing in the towel and splurging for the Stihl E180).
#2 - Slip clutch. Fastest way to burn out a universal motor is to stall it for any length of time. Sometimes it takes just seconds.

FWIW, my MS170s cuts faster than my E180 even though the specs say the E180 has more power.

Status
Not open for further replies.