Looking to Identify this Antique Cookstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

VanDyke57

May 5, 2022
San Juan Islands, WA
Hey there!

I'm trying to help some folks move this cookstove a recently departed family member purchased at auction in California several years ago. There are no receipts, no stamps, no info plates, so hoping something about it might ring a bell for someone here.

Maybe it seems a worthy project to a collector somewhere? If not, I'm sure it will end up as lawn art somewhere on the island :)

Thanks for your time!

Attachments

• Griot Antique Cookstove.pdf
    3.6 MB · Views: 89
There is a classifieds section on this site.

I have no experience with this market. However, it appears to me to be an awesome piece. Visually, that is. If someone fixes the rust.

I'd think someone would be interested in it. The question is how rare it is, and if rare, whether someone is willing to drive to you to get it.

I'm trying to wrap my head around what we are looking at . It appears there are at least 2 different stoves. It's a shame that they have rusted, the nickel parts will need replating, but the construction is unusual and may have high value. Normally stove makers put their name on a stove somewhere. Do any of the castings have mfg. identification?
For assessment of value, contact a few of the better antique stove shops.
This fellow is down in Centralia:

I'm trying to wrap my head around what we are looking at . It appears there are at least 2 different stoves. It's a shame that they have rusted, the nickel parts will need replating, but the construction is unusual and may have high value. Normally stove makers put their name on a stove somewhere. Do any of the castings have mfg. identification?
@begreen
Thanks so much for the links - I'll hit 'em up now. I looked everywhere I could think of to find a stamp/plate/something, but haven't found anything yet. Might be worth another once over. I agree the condition is a shame - especially considering the amount it will need be overhauled, but am with you that it might yet be something worth salvaging.

I really think we're looking at two different units at this point - based on the different tiles. The bottom of one and top of another, maybe? Those round basins that rest on the floor - some sort of warming pot?? No clue...

Thanks for taking the time to share this info. Much appreciated!

Good find on the second link. Too bad there is no answer. These stoves look purpose-built for something but I don't know for what.

Looking at the photos my guess was someone brought a pair of coal stoves from Europe when they emigrated. Definitely not a design I've ever seen, and very unique. Those would not have been in a peasant's house!

I highly suggest talking to Dana LaPan with LaPans Antique Stoves. Hes a friend of mine and hes a great guy with tons of knowledge. Hes very straight forward and honest.