looking to move stove upstairs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff5347

Dec 13, 2011
Central MA
I was curious if anyone has any information on this. The wife and i are looking to move my heatilator ps50 upstairs. I have the manual and where i want to put it, it will have the clearances required in the manual. What i m wondering is since i know what clearances are needed and in which way the vent pipe needs to be installed, do i need a fire marshall or building inspector to come out before hoand. I have a friend that does thsi work and i have the mechanical skill to do this but wondering in what order things need to be done to bring it upstairs.

It doesn't sound like you installed this stove. Was there a permit issued for the original installation? If you don't know and this is your only source of heat you may want to inquire at your building code department without giving your name, to find out. You can also check with your insurance agent they usually have the information.

Its downstairs right now. I didnt install it the stove store i bought it from did. No a permit was not pulled for the orig. install. After seeing them install it i knew it was a job i could do, all i would have need to do is find my EVL. NOw that i know this i am more than confident i would be able to install another but since the heat output is not to my liking on nights like last night (10-17 degrees) we talked about bring ing it upstairs. One of my friends does hvac work and stated it wouldnt be a problem bringing it upstairs but was just wondering on the fire codes. I have oil as my main heat

I think if I was you, I would find out if any permit and or inspection is necessary. I am sure your insurance company wants to know if you have a pellet stove and if it is installed properly. Being it is your home and a large investment, I would cross the "t's" and dot the "i's". As a MA native, I know how the state likes to regulate and tax. That is why I moved 35 years ago.

Tom C.

In my locale no permits are needed, BUT I would definately ask.

ok sounds like a good idea. No this wont be in the bedroom. I have it in the basement now and am wanting to put it in the kitchen /dining area.

Status
Not open for further replies.