Looking to possibly install my woodstove myself. (liner, piping, etc)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Henry G

Aug 25, 2008
Washington Coast
I picked up a Jotul C350 and cannot find anyone reliable to get it installed. I've been stood up numerous times so I'll just attempt to do it myself.

Excuse my lack of knowledge about this process but hopefully you guys can correct me on the terminology, and how to go about this.

Here is the space I have to work with. The Jotul does fit in here with much more room than what my old Lopi took up. The Lopi was much bigger and I only had maybe an inch on each side so it was a pain to remove.

354fuelpump001.jpg

This is looking down the 90+ year old chimney. What's the space on the left? I don't think it goes down to anything. Maybe this was used for something that was once installed in the house to vent using the chimney?

354fuelpump009.jpg

What I'm hearing from friends is I should use some kind of "flex pipe" in the chimney.

Flex pipe just as safe as straight pipe? I'm sure many use it for the convenience?

What about the liner? Is insulated that important?

Welcome Henry. A liner is definitely in order. What is the throat dimension of the chimney flue? Is this an interior or exterior flue?

If you have a clean straight shot at the stove, then you may be able to do this with rigid pipe. It's heavier gauge and tougher so go for it if all else looks good.

Status
Not open for further replies.