Looking to purchase Papa or Grandpa..........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tonya ann

Sep 5, 2014
NEPA
Hi, new to this forum mostly because I am looking to purchase a woodstove for my son to put in the basement of his old farmhouse. I have seen two listed locally, NEPA, and from the measurements, I believe one to be a papa bear for $500 and the other a grandpa bear for 750. My husband seemed to think that was pretty pricey, but it's not like we buy a lot of woodstoves and don't have much to compare it to.
I have also read that smaller, modern stoves may be a better bet. We have a huge old woodstove in our basement and love it, so that's what we are going by. Any feedback would be more than welcome, and what are your thoughts on the price of these stoves. Thanks for your time! ps, sorry to jump in here, but it was the only place I had seen price discussed....

Welcome to the forum;
At the top of the page is a "post new thread" button to start your own new subject - I gave you your own new thread.

As far as price, it's whatever the buyer and seller agree upon. Years ago when these stoves were plentiful, they were a hundred or two. I got my first few free. Those days are gone..... The brass feet alone sell for 100 to 200 or more now. Anything that's no longer made can become scarce and go crazy. Glass doors, nickel or brass plate should draw a premium as well as the more rare models.They also tend to be more this time of year until everyone looking is set up for the winter. So many wait to post them when the demand is up. Watching eBay to see what they sell for (search completed items) gives you an idea of the going rate.

The stove you choose depends on many factors;
First is the chimney flue size. What size is the inside of flue all the way up?
How many square feet will it be heating?
Any known insulation in walls or ceiling?
Is fire viewing a priority? That is the reason for the double door stoves. You can burn with open doors and a screen in place. If not, stick with a single door that has a longer, narrow firebox that is shaped and designed better for log loading and burning. The single doors are also 6 inch outlet and should be 6 inch all the way up. They are the most efficient.
Fuel ; Is there a good supply already seasoned ? Planning on buying or cutting their own? The newer stoves with secondary burn technology require much drier wood and it should be checked with a moisture meter. Seasoning some species of wood requires years for them. Older stoves that do go through more wood are more forgiving and don't require premium fuel.

Most all newer stoves require a 6 inch flue. (insulated liner is normally installed if you already have a larger flue)

Thanks for all the information, really appreciate it. I see you are in NE PA also, what area if I may ask.
We aren't looking for anything pretty, jut going in the basement as a secondary heat source. We bought a no~name last year and it just doesn't put out much heat.
I will definitely check Ebay, hadn't even thought of that. Thanks again......

Pocono's, just north of 80, near the Jersey line.
Any stove is going to work only as good as the chimney. Consider that the engine that makes it go. The best stove made won't work well with the incorrect size chimney, or a poor drafting one. So make sure the chimney is right before you blame it on the stove.
I've found two Papa Bears within an hour away over the past couple years for people in the $200 range. Can't be in a hurry to find them at that price. Both of them were gong to be their secondary heat source and became the primary without using their furnace at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.