Looking to Replace Insert......Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark H

May 23, 2014
Michigan
Hello Everyone,

I am a brand new member and know very little.....about fireplaces. So, we are getting ready to do some home improvements and there is an exsisting gas fireplace. We have a plan to redo the wall and everything around the fireplace. We really had no plans to touch the fireplace. However, this would be the time to do it! The screens and doors are in pretty rough shape.

The insert was installed in 1979 (when the home was built). And is a Preway brand.

Can someone help me understand how much work it is and an estimate on cost? I would also like to lower the fireplace to the ground.

I don't plan to do it myself.

Thank you for your time,

Mark

Hi Mark. Are you sitting down? Hope so. The price of a tear-out/replacement will mostly be dictated by the unit you will be buying to replace the one that's there. The labor involved is going to be a MINIMUM of 8 hours with 2 men on site. 4 hours to tear out & 4 hours to replace. Your existing gas line may or may not suffice depending on the BTU ratings between the new & old units. So that may add to the price. There is probably no way the venting can be re-used so that'll add even more. Then you hafta figure for the finish - hearth, surround & mantel... So with all that said, $8 - $10K might be a reasonable cost to budget for...
HTH....

Great information H.T.H.!

That's about where I'm at. I actually misspoke. It's a gas fireplace, not an insert. Now I just need to pick one.

Is there a brand know for quality? Once I have that figured out picking features should be easier.....

Thanks again,

Mark

Great information H.T.H.!

That's about where I'm at. I actually misspoke. It's a gas fireplace, not an insert. Now I just need to pick one.

Is there a brand know for quality? Once I have that figured out picking features should be easier.....

Thanks again,

Mark

There are many quality brands. Go to a heart shop, look at a couple & grab the brochures. Come back here with the info, & folks will chime in with the pluses & minuses of each one as they know them...Happy hunting!

PS HTH = Hope This Helps...

Reactions: Mark H
Status
Not open for further replies.